Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cell click on one cell selects 2 or 3 cells?

At times, when I click on one cell to enter or modify data, 2 or 3 cells
below the selected cell are highlighted. I only want the cell to be edited
to be selected. I don't know what causes the multicell selection, or how to
turn it off. Can someone explain this to me.
--
Loken
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Loken wrote...
At times, when I click on one cell to enter or modify data, 2 or 3 cells
below the selected cell are highlighted. *I only want the cell to be edited
to be selected. *I don't know what causes the multicell selection, or how to
turn it off. *Can someone explain this to me.

Most likely these are merged cells. When selected, press [Ctrl]+1
(that is, hold down a [Ctrl] key and press the 1 key in the QWERTY
part of the keyboard) to display the Format Cells dialog, click on the
Alignment tab in that dialog, uncheck the Merge Cells box, and click
OK.

Less likely would be there's a SelectionChange event handler macro
doing this. Load the workbook with macros disabled and check whether
this problem persists. If not, then you need to edit or remove those
macros.

Final possibility would be some glitch in your mouse or keyboard
that's adding additional erroneous UI actions. This would be more
likely if you're using a laptop's own keyboard and mouse. If it's a
hardware problem, the first thing to check would be the laptop
manufacturer's web site for instructions on how to clean your laptop.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you using Excel 2007?

Try setting the Zoom level a little lower or higher.

The multiple cell selection is a bug in Excel 2007.

The zoom-changing appears to fix it.

I don't have 2007 but a few postings have made the suggestion and it seems
to work.

Here is one such posting.

http://tinyurl.com/3wofsf

Post back please to confirm if this works or is bogus advice.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP