Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default why do I get an error message when i try to merge cells?

I have three colums in excel, column A has a number in it, column B a name
and column C an address.
i want to merge them so that the number, name and address of each person is
in one cell.
when I select the three cells and click merge it brings up an error message
saying that the values in the cells are different and merging will keep only
the info from column A.
anyone know why this is happening or how to get around it?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Concatenate them into a third column and Hide the original 3

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

Mike

"Megglesface" wrote:

I have three colums in excel, column A has a number in it, column B a name
and column C an address.
i want to merge them so that the number, name and address of each person is
in one cell.
when I select the three cells and click merge it brings up an error message
saying that the values in the cells are different and merging will keep only
the info from column A.
anyone know why this is happening or how to get around it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok that great, thanks, I have merged the three columns into one, but the
original three columns are still showing.
When i delete them this obviously deletes the new merged column too.

do you know how to fix this?

Thanks

"Megglesface" wrote:

I have three colums in excel, column A has a number in it, column B a name
and column C an address.
i want to merge them so that the number, name and address of each person is
in one cell.
when I select the three cells and click merge it brings up an error message
saying that the values in the cells are different and merging will keep only
the info from column A.
anyone know why this is happening or how to get around it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

mike said HIDE the first three columns after you get them
concatenated.
:)
susan

"Megglesface" wrote:

I have three colums in excel, column A has a number in it, column B a name
and column C an address.
i want to merge them so that the number, name and address of each person is
in one cell.
when I select the three cells and click merge it brings up an error message
saying that the values in the cells are different and merging will keep only
the info from column A.
anyone know why this is happening or how to get around it?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy the new column and EditPaste SpecialValuesOKEsc

Delete the originals.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP