Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rank based on criteria

Hi all
The following is the data of school marks.
Sec No Marks Rank
1A 1A1 150 1
1A 1A10 147 3
1A 1A11 145 4
1A 1A12 147 3
1A 1A13 143 5
1A 1A14 127 6
1A 1A3 150 1
1A 1A4 149 2
1B 1B1 131 2
1B 1B10 127 4
1B 1B11 124 6
1B 1B12 134 1
1B 1B13 127 4
1B 1B14 125 5
1B 1B15 130 3
1C 1C1 136 1
1C 1C10 100 5
1C 1C11 111 2
1C 1C12 84 7
1C 1C13 105 4
1C 1C14 107 3
1C 1C15 98 6

I want the rank calculated on "sec". the rank above is calculated using
UDF (from excel community). Can it be done using functions?
Thank you all in advance.
Regards
Sreedhar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you use a helper column with this formula:

=A2&TEXT(C2,"000")

and copy this down, you can then use this column as the basis of your
ranking.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 31, 9:58*am, yshridhar
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I could not get you Pete. What i want is a formula that calculates the rank
that result as in column-D. My data contains nearly 1000 entries and
differenet classes and sections.
regards
Sreedhar

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, forget that.

How many different sections are you likely to have, i.e. 1A, 1B, 1C
etc?

Pete

wrote:
[...]

Sreedhar- Hide quoted text -