Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculate Weighted Value

I have an RFP I am working on. I am scoring 3 different companies on a
variety of areas. Each area is weighted a certain percentage value. For
each area, I will give a score of 1-5 (5 being the greatest). I need a
formula to calculate the percentage for each area based on the score given
and the weighted percentage assigned. For example, the spreadsheet would
look like this:

A B C D
1 Area Weight Score Weighted

2 Hours 65% 3

3 Reporting 15% 4

4 Staff 20% 3

5 Total 100% 10

So what I need to figure out, is how do I calculate the value for column D
based on the score given against the assigned weight of each area? Any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(B2:B4,C2:C4) gives the total in D5

As an alternative, if you want to you can put =B2*C2 in D2, copy down rows 2
to 4, and add.
--
David Biddulph

"Michele" wrote in message
I have an RFP I am working on. I am scoring 3 different companies on a
variety of areas. Each area is weighted a certain percentage value. For
each area, I will give a score of 1-5 (5 being the greatest). I need a
formula to calculate the percentage for each area based on the score given
and the weighted percentage assigned. For example, the spreadsheet would
look like this:

A B C D
1 Area Weight Score Weighted

2 Hours 65% 3

3 Reporting 15% 4

4 Staff 20% 3

5 Total 100% 10

So what I need to figure out, is how do I calculate the value for column D
based on the score given against the assigned weight of each area? Any
help
would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the response David! I think I may have asked the question wrong,
though. Column D will be a percentage. What I need to figure out is what
percentage Column C is of Column B. For example, if one area labled "Hours"
is weighted 10% and is scored a 5 (out of 5 possible points), Column D should
be 10%. So it would look like this:

A B C D
1 Area Weight Score Weighted

2 Hours 10% 5 10%

However, if "Hours" received a score of 2.5, column D would be 5%. It would
then look like this:

A B C D
1 Area Weight Score Weighted

2 Hours 10% 2.5 5%

Does that make sense? Do you have any thoughts?

"Michele" wrote in message
I have an RFP I am working on. I am scoring 3 different companies on a
variety of areas. Each area is weighted a certain percentage value. For
each area, I will give a score of 1-5 (5 being the greatest). I need a
formula to calculate the percentage for each area based on the score given
and the weighted percentage assigned. For example, the spreadsheet would
look like this:

A B C D
1 Area Weight Score Weighted

2 Hours 65% 3

3 Reporting 15% 4

4 Staff 20% 3

5 Total 100% 10

So what I need to figure out, is how do I calculate the value for column D
based on the score given against the assigned weight of each area? Any
help
would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you're looking at the score out of your maximum of 5, change =B2*C2 to
=B2*C2/5, and format as percentage.

Note that this isn't "what percentage Column C is of Column B", but it seems
to be what you want.
--
David Biddulph