Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
CR Optiker

Default Relative Hyperlinks to local files

I have a worksheet with cells linked to files contained in the same folder
as the spreadsheet file. When I created the hyperlinks, the full path was
included. I want to burn the files and spreadsheet to a CD, so want the
hyperlinks to be relative, not containing the absolute path of the folder
on my hard drive.

I understand that in teh absense of a path, the default is relative, but
don't see how to create the hyperlink without a path.

I read the help sections and understand relative hyperlinks, but see no
help on how to do that. When I follow instructions for editing hyperlinks,
I am given the same dropdown folder tree structure to select from as when I
originally created the hyperlinks, so that doesn't change anything. I also
understand using a base address, but don't see how that applies.

How do I create relative hyperlinks so that they will be found after
burning the spreadsheet and files to the same folder on a CD?

Thanks!
Optiker
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Agg

Try this workaround that helped me out.

In Excel, click Tools, Options, General (tab), Web Options... (button),
Files (tab).

If the option "Update links on save" is checked, de-select it. Ok all the
way out.

Now open and save your spreadsheet. It will now be saved with relative
links and provided that all files are in the same or a sub-directory should
work - even if you copy to a different location (provided you copy all
necessary sub-directories as well).

There is a fix for this on the MS website but it involves "fixing" the
registry (only if you really have to). So try this first.

"CR Optiker" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
CR Optiker

Agg...

Thanks for the reply. As I searched the web for possible solutions, I
happened onto one that siad that the links are relative by default, and
that while the full path is shown when you hover the cursor over the link,
it is actually a relative link. So, I thougth it was worth a try and burned
the CD with the files and the links just as they were created initially and
it worked fine. All links open when opening the spreadsheet from the CD.

Maybe I was just making it too hard, but it certainly isn't clear that this
is the way it would work.

Thanks for your reply anyhow, but looks like it's a non-issue.

Optiker

"CR Optiker" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

You might want to make sure you can read them with Excel 2000
if that matters.