Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Linked File Size

Hi there,
My original file (excel form) size was just 31kb. I then added a simple
dependant list in one part of the form and put vlookup formula at the end of
the form and the file size has shot up to 8,450kb!. The vlookup links to an
incredibly large list in a separate workbook which pulls in the customer name
which I guess is the cause of this. What do you advise to reduce the size of
my new revised form. I was thinking that I should put the vlookup formula as
a macro to create the link - pull in the data then break the link but dunno.
The formula is currently
vlookup(C16&D31,'list.xls!A:K,11,0)
Many thanks for your help.
Teddy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Teddy,

Go to Tools|Calculation and clear the 'save external link values' setting. That may significantly reduce the saved file size.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Teddy" wrote in message ...
Hi there,
My original file (excel form) size was just 31kb. I then added a simple
dependant list in one part of the form and put vlookup formula at the end of
the form and the file size has shot up to 8,450kb!. The vlookup links to an
incredibly large list in a separate workbook which pulls in the customer name
which I guess is the cause of this. What do you advise to reduce the size of
my new revised form. I was thinking that I should put the vlookup formula as
a macro to create the link - pull in the data then break the link but dunno.
The formula is currently
vlookup(C16&D31,'list.xls!A:K,11,0)
Many thanks for your help.
Teddy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hello,
many thanks for your reply however I cannot find this option in Excel 2007.
(sorry should have put the version in my original post.)
Teddy

"Teddy" wrote in message ...
Hi there,
My original file (excel form) size was just 31kb. I then added a simple
dependant list in one part of the form and put vlookup formula at the end of
the form and the file size has shot up to 8,450kb!. The vlookup links to an
incredibly large list in a separate workbook which pulls in the customer name
which I guess is the cause of this. What do you advise to reduce the size of
my new revised form. I was thinking that I should put the vlookup formula as
a macro to create the link - pull in the data then break the link but dunno.
The formula is currently
vlookup(C16&D31,'list.xls!A:K,11,0)
Many thanks for your help.
Teddy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Teddy,

Under Excel Options|Advanced (Alt-t, o Advanced), scroll down to 'When calculating this workbook'. It's the last option there.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Teddy" wrote in message ...
Hi there,
My original file (excel form) size was just 31kb. I then added a simple
dependant list in one part of the form and put vlookup formula at the end of
the form and the file size has shot up to 8,450kb!. The vlookup links to an
incredibly large list in a separate workbook which pulls in the customer name
which I guess is the cause of this. What do you advise to reduce the size of
my new revised form. I was thinking that I should put the vlookup formula as
a macro to create the link - pull in the data then break the link but dunno.
The formula is currently
vlookup(C16&D31,'list.xls!A:K,11,0)
Many thanks for your help.
Teddy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

THANK YOU!! You are a Star! This is brilliant and works so well that my file
was reduced by megabytes and I get to keep my formula!! Think will apply it
to all my linked workbooks.
Rgds, Ted.

"Teddy" wrote in message ...
Hi there,
My original file (excel form) size was just 31kb. I then added a simple
dependant list in one part of the form and put vlookup formula at the end of
the form and the file size has shot up to 8,450kb!. The vlookup links to an
incredibly large list in a separate workbook which pulls in the customer name
which I guess is the cause of this. What do you advise to reduce the size of
my new revised form. I was thinking that I should put the vlookup formula as
a macro to create the link - pull in the data then break the link but dunno.
The formula is currently
vlookup(C16&D31,'list.xls!A:K,11,0)
Many thanks for your help.
Teddy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thank you for pointing out the strange essoteric placement for this toggle.
I would never have found it! This did not work for my spreadsheet. Is there
a trick (closing spreadsheet before doing this?) that I did not do?

Brian