Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help with formating cell

I have a very simple worksheet with formulas. Here is what I have:

ColumnB ColumnC ColumnD
Sales Amt Sales Return Net Sales

$591518.00 $12638.00 $578880.00

My Formula for calculating Column D is: =IMSUB(B4,C4). Column B & C shows
the $ sign. When the calculation for Column D appears it does not have the
dollar sign. The entire worksheet is formatted for currency with two
decimals. I checked the individual cell and it is also formatted for
currency with two decimals. What am I missing? This is a school assignment.

Thanks

The
--
Bandit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why are you using IMSUB(), which "Returns the difference of two complex
numbers in x + yi or x + yj text format" (See XL Help)???

Since IMSUB returns text, number format won't affect the value.

But I'm curious as to what imaginary currency you're using?

In article ,
Bandit wrote:

I have a very simple worksheet with formulas. Here is what I have:

ColumnB ColumnC ColumnD
Sales Amt Sales Return Net Sales

$591518.00 $12638.00 $578880.00

My Formula for calculating Column D is: =IMSUB(B4,C4). Column B & C shows
the $ sign. When the calculation for Column D appears it does not have the
dollar sign. The entire worksheet is formatted for currency with two
decimals. I checked the individual cell and it is also formatted for
currency with two decimals. What am I missing? This is a school assignment.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response. My daughter is taking an excel class. It is
self-paced and very little classroom time. Or so I am told... Anyway, this
is the 2nd part of an assignement. She asked me for help because she was
having this problem. I have used excel many times in years past, but not an
expert by any stretch of the imagination. I picked up just from where she
left off to try to resolve this issue. Since I posted, I have noticed that
this may be just the tip of the problem rather then the entire problem. The
assignement states for her to use the forumlas taught in this chaper so I
assume I am going to have to go review the chapter to see if she is using the
correct formulas to begin with. I started at the $$$ problem because that is
what she said she needed help with. But now I think it is a bigger problem.
Now I need to figure out the problem so I can get her to work through it.

Thanks though, I will post if I need additional assistance.

Thank you
--
Bandit

Bandit wrote:

I have a very simple worksheet with formulas. Here is what I have:

ColumnB ColumnC ColumnD
Sales Amt Sales Return Net Sales

$591518.00 $12638.00 $578880.00

My Formula for calculating Column D is: =IMSUB(B4,C4). Column B & C shows
the $ sign. When the calculation for Column D appears it does not have the
dollar sign. The entire worksheet is formatted for currency with two
decimals. I checked the individual cell and it is also formatted for
currency with two decimals. What am I missing? This is a school assignment.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why are you using IMSUB(), which "Returns the difference of twocomplex

Come off it, she just needs to know to use the =(A1-B1) formula.

Bandit wrote:

On Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:05 PM Bandi wrote:

[...]

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

On Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:01 PM muddan madhu wrote:

try this

=3DTEXT(IMSUB(B4,C4),"$0")

=A0 =A0ColumnD
Sales