southtxxbox

Default Convert minutes into hours and minutes

I use a spreadsheet that totals minutes in different cells. I need those
totals added then converted into hours and minutes, NOT into days and hours
and minutes, and NOT into fractional hours. As an example, 1520 minutes
should be 25 hours and 20 minutes or 25:20. Days, hours, minutes (01:00:20)
does me no good, nor does fractional hour (25.33). I used the TEXT formula,
but found that minutes could not exceed 1440 (24 hours). In the example
above with 1520 minutes, it returned 01:20. The CONVERT formula falls short
since it only converts minutes into (fractional) hours and not minutes into
hours and minutes. Any help?
Vasant Nanavati

Format the cell as Custom [h]:mm.

The formula in the cell shouLd be:

=SUM(A1:A100)/1440

--

Vasant

"southtxxbox" wrote in message
I use a spreadsheet that totals minutes in different cells. I need those
totals added then converted into hours and minutes, NOT into days and

hours
and minutes, and NOT into fractional hours. As an example, 1520 minutes
should be 25 hours and 20 minutes or 25:20. Days, hours, minutes

(01:00:20)
does me no good, nor does fractional hour (25.33). I used the TEXT

formula,
but found that minutes could not exceed 1440 (24 hours). In the example
above with 1520 minutes, it returned 01:20. The CONVERT formula falls

short
since it only converts minutes into (fractional) hours and not minutes

into
hours and minutes. Any help?

Steve R

If your minutes are entered in non-time format, add them and divide by 1440.

Example: =SUM(A1:A19)/1440

Format the result [h]:mm

The site below will give you some understanding why this works how times are
stored in Excel.
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm

Steve

"southtxxbox" wrote in message
I use a spreadsheet that totals minutes in different cells. I need those
totals added then converted into hours and minutes, NOT into days and
hours
and minutes, and NOT into fractional hours. As an example, 1520 minutes
should be 25 hours and 20 minutes or 25:20. Days, hours, minutes
(01:00:20)
does me no good, nor does fractional hour (25.33). I used the TEXT
formula,
but found that minutes could not exceed 1440 (24 hours). In the example
above with 1520 minutes, it returned 01:20. The CONVERT formula falls
short
since it only converts minutes into (fractional) hours and not minutes
into
hours and minutes. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What if I want to display the converted hours and minutes as 25 h 20 min and
not as 25:20? When I tried to format the cell as Custom [h] h mm min Excel
though the first m of "min" meant minutes and displayed 25 h 20 20in. How to
go around this and display neatly time with text abbreviations 25 h 20 min?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put quotes around min

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"lsbsed" wrote in message ...
| What if I want to display the converted hours and minutes as 25 h 20 min and
| not as 25:20? When I tried to format the cell as Custom [h] h mm min Excel
| though the first m of "min" meant minutes and displayed 25 h 20 20in. How to
| go around this and display neatly time with text abbreviations 25 h 20 min?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 5:09:00 AM UTC-4, lsbsed wrote:
What if I want to display the converted hours and minutes as 25 h 20 min and
not as 25:20? When I tried to format the cell as Custom [h] h mm min Excel
though the first m of "min" meant minutes and displayed 25 h 20 20in. How to
go around this and display neatly time with text abbreviations 25 h 20 min?

[h]\h mm\m
example: 1h 36m
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

andyclaw wrote:

On Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 5:09:00 AM UTC-4, lsbsed wrote:
What if I want to display the converted hours and minutes as 25 h 20
min and not as 25:20? When I tried to format the cell as Custom [h] h
mm min Excel though the first m of "min" meant minutes and displayed 25
h 20 20in. How to go around this and display neatly time with text
abbreviations 25 h 20 min?

[h]\h mm\m
example: 1h 36m

That question was asked ***EIGHT YEARS AGO!***

Don't you Google groupies know how to look at dates? You don't get bonus
points for answering old questions.

--
That takes a special type of stupid.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 1:27:01 AM UTC-4, Auric__ wrote:
andyclaw wrote:

On Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 5:09:00 AM UTC-4, lsbsed wrote:
What if I want to display the converted hours and minutes as 25 h 20
min and not as 25:20? When I tried to format the cell as Custom [h] h
mm min Excel though the first m of "min" meant minutes and displayed 25
h 20 20in. How to go around this and display neatly time with text
abbreviations 25 h 20 min?

[h]\h mm\m
example: 1h 36m

That question was asked ***EIGHT YEARS AGO!***

Don't you Google groupies know how to look at dates? You don't get bonus
points for answering old questions.

--
That takes a special type of stupid.

Today, in 2016, I had this very question and this page had the answer. While the original person maybe didn't need updates 8 years later, others may appreciate the additional information.

I guess it takes a special kind of smart to see that some things have enduring value.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Today in 2019 I was having a duration formatting issue that Andy's answer resolved thank you Andy.