Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to freeze panes

Another mystery with Excel 2010.

I have an existing spreadsheet in which I had frozen first column and
top row. The freeze has disappeared and I cannot reinstate it. When I
pull down the Freeze Panes button it has only two freeze options:
Freeze Top Row and Freeze First Column. No way to freeze both.

Is this possibly connected to the other problem I had with Desktop
settings upsetting Excel? If not, what am I missing.

Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mick,

Am Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:37:56 -0800 schrieb CellShocked:

why does 2013 not have windowed open file panes?

They are all stuck maximized, and separate full excel windows pop to
the desktop front for each file. This is like some Windows 8
consideration thing. Some of us have multiple displays, and this new
pair-of-dimes is a departure from a windowed motif. Not necessarily
affecting multi-display setups per se, but still, one has to adjust one's
ways and means yet one more time... how quaint... not!

sorry Mick, but I didn't realize that the problem is based on Win8 and
Office2013.
I'm still working with Office2007 and Office2010 and Vista as OS.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:47:54 +0100, Claus Busch
wrote:

Hi Mick,

Am Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:37:56 -0800 schrieb CellShocked:

why does 2013 not have windowed open file panes?

They are all stuck maximized, and separate full excel windows pop to
the desktop front for each file. This is like some Windows 8
consideration thing. Some of us have multiple displays, and this new
pair-of-dimes is a departure from a windowed motif. Not necessarily
affecting multi-display setups per se, but still, one has to adjust one's
ways and means yet one more time... how quaint... not!

sorry Mick, but I didn't realize that the problem is based on Win8 and
Office2013.
I'm still working with Office2007 and Office2010 and Vista as OS.

Regards
Claus Busch

I am not in Windows 8, but my excel 2013 behavior in Windows 7 is what
I referred to. Sorry I ddin't make that clear when I suggested why it
might be that way.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:14:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem and found out that it was the view. Are you in the normal view?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So... UNFREEZE everything, and start over. perhaps it will only let
you stack them in a certain order.

Thanks! Even though I had not 'froze' anything I tried what you said and clicked the corner cell between A1 & 1 to select all, then I unfroze, saved file, put the cursor in the cell I wanted and... viola ... 'freeze panes' magically was there now. Peace.