Ladislav Ligart

Default graphing two series on x axis

Excel 2000. I have two series plotted on a graph. The 1st is a bar
graph containing values for six years, 1999-2004. The 2nd is a line
graph having values for only two years, 2003-2004. As is, the 2nd
series is plotted in the first two x-values positions of 1999-2000,
which is incorrect. To correct this, I dummied the 2nd series to have
4 empty cells at the start so that the 2003 and 2004 values for each
series show on the same point on the x axis. However, for those 4
dummied years the line graph shows "0" and plots a line at 0. I would
prefer not to see the line in years 1999-2002 at all. Any solution to
this?
John Mansfield

Ladislav,

First activate your chart by clicking on it and then go to Tools - Option
- Chart and make sure that the option under the "Active Chart Heading" says
"Plot empty cells as - not plotted - leave gaps" is checked.

Then, assuming your data looks like this with the top row being the year,
the second row bar chart data, and the last row line chart data (note that
the cells in years 99 - 02 are empty):

99 00 01 02 03 04
a 6 7 5 6 7 8
dummy 7 8

Select the entire series and create a normal column chart. When the chart
is completed, you should have one bar each for the years 00-02 and two bars
each for the years 03-04. Select the two bars that need to be the line
chart. Left click on the selection, go to "chart type", and then "line", and
then click "OK". You should get a line that only spans 03-04.

Regards,

"Ladislav Ligart" wrote:

Excel 2000. I have two series plotted on a graph. The 1st is a bar
graph containing values for six years, 1999-2004. The 2nd is a line
graph having values for only two years, 2003-2004. As is, the 2nd
series is plotted in the first two x-values positions of 1999-2000,
which is incorrect. To correct this, I dummied the 2nd series to have
4 empty cells at the start so that the 2003 and 2004 values for each
series show on the same point on the x axis. However, for those 4
dummied years the line graph shows "0" and plots a line at 0. I would
prefer not to see the line in years 1999-2002 at all. Any solution to
this?

Ladislav

Thanks!