Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Hyperlink just one word in a cell?

Hello all; the subject line really says it all.

I'm pretty sure at some point in the past I've seen text in a cell where
there was a hyperlink in just PART of the cell... but I can't for the life of
me figure out how to do that now.

Any help would be MOST appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hyperlink just one word in a cell?

Hi Jim,

Yes, you can definitely add a hyperlink to just one word in a cell in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell that you want to add the hyperlink to.
  2. Double-click on the cell to enter edit mode.
  3. Highlight the word that you want to turn into a hyperlink.
  4. Right-click on the highlighted word and select "Hyperlink" from the context menu.
  5. In the "Insert Hyperlink" dialog box, enter the
    Code:
    URL
    or file path that you want to link to in the "Address" field.
  6. Click "OK" to save the hyperlink.

Now, when you click on the word that you turned into a hyperlink, it will take you to the
Code:
URL
or file path that you specified.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I fear you are mistaken.

Having inserted a hyperlink in a cell you can change the character
formatting of all but one word to be black with no underlining so that
it LOOKS like only the one word is the link - but you can't make only
that word ACT as a link.

You might be able to insert an object that looks like a cell and can
contain rich text, including single hyperlinked words - but I have not
found one that works in a quick search.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

You could cheat and add a rectangle over the word/phrase you want. Then hide
its borders and assign the hyperlink to that rectangle.

You could even format those characters (if the value in that cell is not a
formula) nicely.

But it can be a pain if you re-edit the text and change the position of the
characters.

--

Dave Peterson