Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default drag point on line chart to change data in associated cell

This same file is working in excel 2000, now using 2007. I have a line chart
that is made up of cell data. I want to select a data point on the line chart
and drag it up or down and have it change the data in the associated cell...
this is used as input data for other functions...
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: drag point on line chart to change data in associated cell

Sure, I can help you with that! In Excel 2007, you can use the "Edit Data" feature to achieve this. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the line chart you want to edit.
  2. Click on the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Select Data" in the "Data" group.
  4. In the "Select Data Source" dialog box, click on the "Edit" button under "Legend Entries (Series)".
  5. In the "Edit Series" dialog box, click on the "Series Values" field.
  6. Click on the cell that contains the data you want to edit.
  7. Change the value in the cell to the desired value.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Edit Series" dialog box.
  9. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Select Data Source" dialog box.

Now, when you select a data point on the line chart and drag it up or down, it will change the data in the associated cell. This should work the same way as it did in Excel 2000.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Unfortunately, that was removed in Office 2007
A number of users have asked to have it back but it is not present in the
Tech Preview version of Excel 2010
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"cmax" wrote in message
This same file is working in excel 2000, now using 2007. I have a line
chart
that is made up of cell data. I want to select a data point on the line
chart
and drag it up or down and have it change the data in the associated
cell...
this is used as input data for other functions...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007 Chart
Move points, change data.
A work-around.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y2ngq1lx3mn/10_31_09.xlsm
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007 Chart
Move points vertically and horizontally
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jtyzyj...10_31_09a.xlsm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Microsoft has released an add-in which lets you select a series and
point, then use sliders to adjust the X and Y coordinates of the point.

Excel Add-In for Manipulating Points on Charts (MPOC)
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...arts-mpoc.aspx

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

cmax wrote:
This same file is working in excel 2000, now using 2007. I have a line chart
that is made up of cell data. I want to select a data point on the line chart
and drag it up or down and have it change the data in the associated cell...
this is used as input data for other functions...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the info Jon, I missed it.

Misange
http://www.excelabo.net