Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default set Excel 2007 as default to save files in Excel 2003 .xls format

I want to set Excel 2007 as default to save files in Excel 2003 .xls format.
I use accounts report software called FRx which automatically generates
Excel format files distributing them as email attachments, but many users
only have 2003. Running the version of FRx software I have, in 2007
environment, is outputting Excel 2007 format files with a file extension .xls
which Excel 2003 (rightly) does not recognise because it is the wrong file
extension for the actual format of the file.
I'm thinking that if 2007 will pre-set to output 2003 then things might run
OK, with the down side that in normal use I'd have to manually choose to save
as 2007 format.