Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking for BOOLEAN ALGEBRA functions (specifically XOR)

I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Excel doesn't have it but you can write your own quite simply

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:B1,"Some Value")=1,TRUE,FALSE)

Mike

"RL Jones" wrote:

I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"RL Jones" <RL wrote in message
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"RL Jones" <RL wrote in message
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"RL Jones" <RL wrote in message
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in
EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes it could and until Excel include

=XOR(A1,B1) then they are as short as it gets.

Mike

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"RL Jones" <RL wrote in message
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in
EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Rick Rothstein" wrote...
Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

If A1 and B1 would always be 1s or 0s, even shorter:

=MOD(A1+B1,2)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, yes... very good. And I guess that could be written this way as
well...

=NOT(A1)+NOT(B1)=1

If A1 and B1 would always be 1s or 0s, even shorter:

=MOD(A1+B1,2)

Provided the user didn't need to see the result of the operation as
TRUE/FALSE, of course.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

An XOR could operate on any number of binary bits.
An odd parity checker would XOR all given bits,
thus checking for an odd number of bits in a word:
=MOD(1+MOD(HEX2BIN("AE")-1,9),2)
I vote for Harlan's formulas, having lifted them from
his post dated Jun 16, 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

... until Excel include =XOR(A1,B1)

It's included as an Excel vba function.
I have no idea why it's not included as a Worksheet function.

b = a Xor b

= = = =
Dana DeLouis

"Mike H" wrote in message
Rick,

Can be abbreviated to:-

=(A1<0)+(B1<0)=1

and it also works if both cells are blank.

Mike

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is it...

=OR(AND(A1,NOT(B1)),AND(NOT(A1),B1))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"RL Jones" <RL wrote in message
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in
EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wasn't saying to not use Harlan's formula... just noting his is returning
a number whereas the other posted formula returned TRUE/FALSE. If you used
in an expression, that difference wouldn't matter; but since all submissions
were shown as stand-alone formulas, I just figured I would note the
difference in what each returned. Besides, I wanted to give an opening to
Harlan to post back...

=MOD(A1+B1,2)=1

I think he likes being able to do that, so I thought I would be nice to him
and leave the door open for him to do that.<g Of course, now that I took
that opportunity away from him in my response to you, I'll have to give him
a different opening for a response to this thread. Let me see... I know... I
do wonder which is the more efficient construction... Harlan's formula which
uses a MOD function call, mine which uses two NOT function calls or Mike's
which uses two logical comparisons.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote in message
An XOR could operate on any number of binary bits.
An odd parity checker would XOR all given bits,
thus checking for an odd number of bits in a word:
=MOD(1+MOD(HEX2BIN("AE")-1,9),2)
I vote for Harlan's formulas, having lifted them from
his post dated Jun 16, 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 11:01:01 AM UTC-7, RL Jones wrote:
I am looking for BOOLEAN Algebra Functions. Can't find any help in EXCEL.
While I can work around the OR, AND, and NOT, I need XOR.

All you have to do is
=not(a1 = a2)