Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default how to locate a point on excel graph?

just in graph ,and o not use trend analysis, or that stuff
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how to locate a point on excel graph?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the steps to locate a point on an Excel graph:
  1. Open your Excel file and go to the worksheet that contains the graph you want to work with.
  2. Click on the graph to select it. You should see a box appear around the graph to indicate that it is selected.
  3. Look at the bottom of the Excel window, and you should see a row of buttons. Click on the one that says "Select Data" (it looks like a small spreadsheet with a red arrow pointing to it).
  4. In the "Select Data Source" window that appears, you should see a list of data series that are plotted on the graph. Click on the series that contains the point you want to locate.
  5. Once you have selected the series, click on the "Edit" button to the right of the "Legend Entries (Series)" box.
  6. In the "Edit Series" window that appears, you should see two boxes labeled "Series X values" and "Series Y values". These boxes contain the data that is plotted on the graph.
  7. Look for the value that corresponds to the point you want to locate. If you know the exact value, you can type it into the appropriate box. If you don't know the exact value, you can use the arrow keys to scroll through the values until you find the one you want.
  8. Once you have located the value, click on the "OK" button to close the "Edit Series" window.
  9. You should now see a small dot or marker on the graph that corresponds to the point you located. If the dot is too small to see, you can right-click on it and choose "Format Data Series" to adjust the size and appearance of the marker.

That's it! You should now be able to locate any point on your Excel graph by following these steps.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You mean, how do you place a point on an Excel chart, or how do you
determine the location of such a point?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

just in graph ,and o not use trend analysis, or that stuff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,
Not intending to thread-jack, but are both of those possible? I was recently
asked by a colleage if it was possible to randomly pick a point on a chart
and have excel then spit out the coordinates.

Expanding on this, would it be possible to do something similar using a
scanned image (say, a graph from a textbook)?
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

logetic wrote:
just in graph ,and o not use trend analysis, or that stuff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Luke -

Number 1 is easy:

Chart Events in Microsoft Excel
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

Number 2 - I've seen descriptions of programs that digitize scanned
images, but I've never used any. One that I've seen several times is
called Grab It (http://www.datatrendsoftware.com/).

- Jon
-------

Luke M wrote:
Jon,
Not intending to thread-jack, but are both of those possible? I was recently
asked by a colleage if it was possible to randomly pick a point on a chart
and have excel then spit out the coordinates.

Expanding on this, would it be possible to do something similar using a
scanned image (say, a graph from a textbook)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi
here
http://www.excelabo.net/exemples/sgfc-coordonneesgraph
you can dowload a file which answers your demand.

I am afraid it is in french ! if you do not understand french here is
the translation of the key instructions:

paste in the frame (actually this is an empty graph) a picture of a
graph you want to analyze (i.e. one scanned from a document). Resize the
picture so that it is just slightly larger than the frame.
Do not zoom

Click on the mouse move button
pass the mouse over the graph. The coordinates are displayed in the blue
zone ("points sous la souris")

Now define the coordinates of the axis origins:
- click on mouse move, place the mouse on the (0, 0) point on the graph.
report the values displayed in the blue zone in the green one (below
"origine des axes"). If the x (or y) axis does not start at 0, write the
actual value under X0 and Y0
Now collect the values for the maximal value of each axis: place the
mouse over the maximal value of the axis, note the coordinate in the
blue zone, report it under "maximas des axes" and indicate the
corresponding real values under xmax and ymax .

Now, to collect values displayed in the graph
Click on mousemove
click on each point of the graph you want to collect
the coordinates of the point are displayed in the purple zone,
"translated" using the coordinates of the axis.
If you are using a logaritmic scale for the axes you will have to adapt
the formulas used to calculate the values.

each collected value should be automatically copied under the yellow
zone but there is a problem with this function if I remember well in
2007 and I had no time to look at this more carefully.

The class module was written by Serge Garneau.
I use this tool quite often, for instance to redraw some graph with a
cleaner presentation.

Misange

Luke M a écrit :
Jon,
Not intending to thread-jack, but are both of those possible? I was recently
asked by a colleage if it was possible to randomly pick a point on a chart
and have excel then spit out the coordinates.

Expanding on this, would it be possible to do something similar using a
scanned image (say, a graph from a textbook)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Luke M a écrit :
Jon,
Not intending to thread-jack, but are both of those possible? I was recently
asked by a colleage if it was possible to randomly pick a point on a chart
and have excel then spit out the coordinates.

Expanding on this, would it be possible to do something similar using a
scanned image (say, a graph from a textbook)?

Hi, Misange,

i need this macro about http://www.excelabo.net/exemples/sgfc-coordonneesgraph to collect individual point to a list of points (not entire serie) but website is not access.

please put here the code or sample file
thanks!