Junior Member

Default Cell Validation

I am a novice any and all help will be greatly appreciated! I need to provide a list of valid usernames for cell #1, then have the user enter their password in cell #2. At this point I need to validate the entered password in cell #2 against the another sheet containing the valid usernames and passwords. If the password is correct they may continue on, if the password is invalid they must re-enter the password until it is valid.

I have been able to setup the List drop down box for the username, but I am able to continue if I enter nothing, I need to have a name entered from the list. Also I need to then have the user enter their password into cell #2 and then using the username and password from cell #1 and cell #2 verify the username and and password from another sheet using data from column a (username) and coulmn b (password). How can I accomplish this?
Thanks
JLW SR

Last edited by JLW SR : May 2nd 13 at 05:59 PM Reason: Accomplished part of task
Junior Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW SR View Post
[...]

Is no one able to answer my questions, can it be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Wed, 8 May 2013 12:58:45 +0100, JLW SR wrote:

JLW SR;1611523 Wrote:
[...]

You could use Data Validation

Here's one way.

Worksheet: UsernamePW
A1:An -- list of valid User Names with no blanks
B1:Bn -- list of corresponding passwords
(you probably will want to hide this sheet)
Define a name (to get around problem of Data Validation referring to another sheet:

Names refers to: =OFFSET(UsernamePW!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(UsernamePW!$A:$ A))

Note that Names is a dynamic range, and you can add names to the list and the Names range will change accordingly.

On your Entry sheet, select A2
Data Validation
List
Source: =Names
set the input message and error alert messages however you wish

Select B2
Data Validation
Custom
Formula: =$B$2=VLOOKUP($A$2,OFFSET(Names,0,0,,2),2,FALSE)
Again, set the input and error alert messages to suit you.