Junior Member

Default Problem with user functions in Add-ins for multiple persons

A work I have made many user functions and I have placed them in different add-ins so they appear in Excel in their own group when you choose “function”.

I have then also made a macro that is used for updating by copying the add-ins from a network place to a person’s computer. Thereby the person can use the functions without having network access.

The add-ins is put in the following place on a person’s computer:
C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
where XXX is the reference for that person. This is the Microsoft default place.

One of the functions I have made is a Catmul Rom Spline. If person YYY uses this function and then sends the Excel file to person XXX the function appears as:
='C:\Documents and Settings\YYY\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\Interpolation.xlam'!Catmull_ Rom_Spline($S$15:$S$22,O15:O22,$S$24)

The result is that XXX cannot make calculations before the following is removed
'C:\Documents and Settings\YYY\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\Interpolation.xlam'!
So the formula only reads
=Catmull_Rom_Spline($S$15:$S$22,O15:O22,$S$24)

I am looking for a solution to this problem so we can send Excel files to each other and still use them. I do not want to put the functions into the Excel file. This is why I made the add-ins.

One solution I can see is to put all the add-ins in the following place on all computers
'C:\ AddIns
This might solve the problem. This will however result in that all who look-on to that computer has access to the add-ins. It is possible for me to look on a colleges computer when we have network access.

I am hoping that one of you have a solution where the add-ins can remain in the correct place.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Addins can be stored wherever you like and so just choose a location.

If you want to simplify this, just store them on a network share and
have everyone use the same one[s]. It will be necessary, though, to
choose *NO* when asked if you want to copy the addin to the local
machine. Of course, you will have to delete/move these from the local
folder so next time you open the AddinsManager Excel will ask you if
you want to remove them from its list. Be sure to tell Excel to delete
it, then close the dialog, then close Excel. When you reopen Excel and
the AddinManager, add the file[s] on the network share one at a time
without copying to the local machine.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!