Bob B

Default In Excel, how do I get the program to open in separate windows, l.

I like to open Excel in two separate windows like it is two different
programs, that way i can see two different sheets on my dual monitor system.
I used to be able to do that , now for some reason it just opens the sheets
in windows of the program. What am I smissing?
Dave Peterson

I don't have dual monitors.

But from what I've read, the best way is to start a second instance of excel,
then use File|open to open whatever workbooks you want in the second instance.

You may want to try this:

With tools|options|general tab|"Ignore other applications" checked, click on a
shortcut to excel. A second instance should start.

And be aware that turning this setting off sometimes gives errors with workbooks
that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

But you can always File|open within any instance of excel.

===
Sometimes, I'll just start a second instance by:
flying window R (to see the Windows start button|Run dialog
type in:
excel
and hit enter.

--

Dave Peterson
robert bignami

Thanks, that did it. I knew there was a setting that i had forgotton about. I
hate excel, (123 guy from the early '80's) but it does have some nice
features, thanks again.

Bob Bignami

Bob B wrote:

I like to open Excel in two separate windows like it is two different
programs, that way i can see two different sheets on my dual monitor system.
I used to be able to do that , now for some reason it just opens the sheets
in windows of the program. What am I smissing?

--

Dave Peterson

Junior Member

hello,
i see the last message was posted years ago. i have windows 7 and would like to open multiple windows of excel. however, there is no tools|options|general tab|"Ignore other applications" options. can you please provide instructions for windows 7 OS and excel?
thanks,
scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert bignami View Post