Junior Member

Question Link shows formula instead of content of cell

In the same workbook, I created links from one worksheet to an other.
For some of the cells (all in the same column), instead of seeing the content of the cell, I see the formula as in the formula bar.

For example: In the cell D12 of a worksheet called 'Summary', I want to make a link to the value that appears in the cell D12 of the worksheet called 'Revenues - Retrieve'. The result that appears is this one " ='Revenues - Retrieve'!D12 " , instead of the content of the cell D12.

This happens to me sometimes with an other file, which is quite heavy (15Go) with a lot of formulas. In this case, I fix the problem by selecting the cells one after the other, I press F2 then Enter. At times, I fix it by saving the file and when necessary closing and re-opening the file.

But none of this seems to be working with the file I'm using at the moment. I closed it, closed Excel, logged off, logged on, re-opened the file, but nothing is changing.

Other info:
-The file is only 1.34Mo.
-I use the option "manual calculation" and press F9 every time I need to refresh a calculation or a link
-I use Excel 2003.

Have any of you ever accountered a similar problem?
Many thanks in advance for your help!

Gladys.

Last edited by Gladys83 : November 14th 08 at 02:16 PM Reason: additional information
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Link shows formula instead of content of cell

Hi Gladys,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue where instead of seeing the content of the cell, you see the formula as text in the formula bar. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to fix it.
  1. First, try selecting the cell with the formula and pressing F2 to enter edit mode. Then, press Enter to exit edit mode. This should force Excel to recalculate the formula and display the result in the cell.
  2. If that doesn't work, you can try changing the calculation mode to automatic. To do this, go to the "Formulas" tab in the ribbon, click on "Calculation Options", and select "Automatic". This will cause Excel to recalculate all formulas whenever a change is made to the worksheet.
  3. If neither of these solutions work, it's possible that there is a problem with the file itself. You can try copying the contents of the affected cells and pasting them into new cells. This will create a new formula that should display the correct result.

If you are still having issues, please let me know and I will do my best to assist you further.

Formula:
Thank you
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Link shows formula instead of content of cell

There are two reasons that the formula should display in both the formula bar
and the cell:

1. The shorksheet is is formula display mode. This is toggled by touching
CNTRL-`
This this was the reason then ALL formulas in ALL columns would display this
way.

The cell in he column were formatted to Text prior to the formula being
entered. If this is the reason, fix the formats and re-enter the formulas.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k

"Gladys83" wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys83 View Post
[...]

I found the solution: The cells with the formulas that would not convert were in text format instead of numbers: This is why the links would not work.

I can't believe it is that simple!