Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Path/File access error: '.\VB??.tmp'

Hi,

I have seen many postings to this subject, but the solutions written
in the postings didn't fix my problem.

Excel answers with this Error message when I try to copy a sheet to a
new workbook, like that.

Sheets("Sheet1").Copy

The part with "??" changes if I try to run the macro several times.

Does some new suggestions or solutions exist at this point of time?

For any help, i would be very thankful.

Ciao
Daniel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I too have been experiencing this problem since I installed Office 2003.

In my case the problem was due to a lack of permission to create the
temporary file.

Let me explain.

The error message I got was subtly different to yours, mine was “Path/File
access error: '\VB??.tmp'”. Notice that the full-stop, in the file path,
indicating the current directory is missing. This would mean that it is
trying to write to the root directory of the drive of the current
directory.

What I did not initially know is what drive it was trying to write to. I
would have thought C: or where my Windows Temp directory was located, but
no.

It was trying to create them to our L: drive. I did not have permission to
write to the L: drive root directory.

The question was why would it try to write it to that drive? The answer
was that we use File Redirection under group policies to redirect all the
users “My Documents” folders to a sub-directory system on the L: drive.
The copy and paste operation is presuming it can use the root directory of
the “My Documents” (which happens to be the L: drive) directory as a
temporary workspace. Which would work fine if “My Documents” was on the C:
drive.

I have been given file access to the root directory of the L: drive, which
solves my problem. I however, for security reasons, don’t think that is by
any means a permanent solution. If anyone has a better solution please let
me know.

I think this problem is an oversight on the part of Microsoft. They should
rather write Temp Files to the users’ Temp directory instead of writing to
the root directory or to a relative path from the “My Documents” folder.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I also received the '\VB??.tmp'€ť version of this error. Oddly I was able to use the macro on data from another folder, so what I ended up doing was copying the relevant data onto a folder on my desktop and that data was able to be used for the macro. I suppose if you have another user specific folder that you have access to, that should work too. There doesn't appear to be any reason why one folder is different than the other.

On Sunday, February 27, 2005 at 9:26:27 PM UTC-5, Tom01 wrote:
Hi,

I too have been experiencing this problem since I installed Office 2003.

In my case the problem was due to a lack of permission to create the
temporary file.

Let me explain.

The error message I got was subtly different to yours, mine was €śPath/File
access error: '\VB??.tmp'€ť. Notice that the full-stop, in the file path,
indicating the current directory is missing. This would mean that it is
trying to write to the root directory of the drive of the current
directory.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom01
Thanks for your help. My problem is : "My Doccument" folder redirection to "One Drive" network but now it not available.
I try to move the location of this folder to local drive one and it works.
Thanks so much