Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lost all content?

I was editing a worksheet. Can't say precisely what my last step was,
but suddenly I have this empty, grey window.
Tried various commands but so far no joy. Don't want to re-open via
File Open because that's a day old.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ontentGrey.jpg

Help!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I was editing a worksheet. Can't say precisely what my last step was,
but suddenly I have this empty, grey window.
Tried various commands but so far no joy. Don't want to re-open via
File Open because that's a day old.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ontentGrey.jpg

Help!

Closing off this thread.

I had several suggestions from an Excel newsgroup but unfortunately
none worked. However, one of them was to use Properties Previous
versions. Although that gave 'No previous versions' it reminded me of
a key point I should have thought of yesterday: that this file is in
my Dropbox folder.

So by going to my account on the Dropbox web site I was then able to
find a previous version that would have helped me somewhat. Too late -
as I worked very late last night and have now redone my previous work
- saving nervously very frequently!

I take it there is no built-in 'auto-saving' facility in Excel
2016/365. A surprising flaw IMO. I make use of that function often in
my video editor (which rotates through 10 backup files).

What approach do most experienced Excel users adopt? Simply saving
frequently with the same name clearly wouldn't have helped in this
case, where one worksheet in that file was unceremoniously deleted or
corrupted, albeit probably by my carelessness. So 'Auto-recover' was
of no use.

I did also try looking for text strings after opening the problem file
in a hex editor, but none of the few I found were cell contents, which
puzzles me?

I'd still like to know what went wrong, not only for academic
curiosity but also in case this happens again - but it seems highly
unlikely now.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was editing a worksheet. Can't say precisely what my last step was,
but suddenly I have this empty, grey window.
Tried various commands but so far no joy. Don't want to re-open via
File Open because that's a day old.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ontentGrey.jpg

Help!

Did you try restarting Excel to see if it auto-recovered your doc?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc