Carter Devereaux

Default How do I align numbers where one number has a dollar sign?

How do I align a column of numbers where the first number has a dollar sign?
Like this,
$280
60
50
Total $390

When I try to add the dollar sign, Excel "shifts" the number slightly more
to the left of the other numbers, resulting in a slightly uneven alignment.
Also, I'd like the dollar sign number to align w/ the total amt. What's the
best way to do this?
Jon Peltier

Probably Excel applies an accounting number format. Select the cell, and
go to the Formatting dialog, Number tab, and select Custom. The Type box
on the right says

$#,##0_);[Red]($#,##0)

The "_)" part of the first format string tells Excel to leave a blank
space as wide as a parenthesis after the number so it lines up with a
negative number in parentheses. You can change the format string to

$#,##0

which will butt the number against the right edge of the cell.
Alternatively, you could format the non-dollar-sign cells with this string:

which leaves the same space to the right of the number.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services