Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
pjb pjb is offline

Default Using IF Function

I am trying to create a formula that will sum a list of cells and if the
total exceeds a certain number it will return the number that is above that
number. ie:sum = 48, I want the formula to show 8. thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=IF(SUM(B16:B19)48,SUM(B16:B19)-48,SUM(B16:B19))

Substitute your range of cells as required.

"pjb" wrote:

I am trying to create a formula that will sum a list of cells and if the
total exceeds a certain number it will return the number that is above that
number. ie:sum = 48, I want the formula to show 8. thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Don't understand where the 8 comes from.

8 is not above 48 unless you mean the cell above the SUM cell is 8?

=MIN(SUM(A1:A10),8) entered in A11

Or =MIN(SUM(A1:A8),A10)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:04:01 -0700, pjb wrote:

I am trying to create a formula that will sum a list of cells and if the
total exceeds a certain number it will return the number that is above that
number. ie:sum = 48, I want the formula to show 8. thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Glad you picked up on the typo<g

=MIN(SUM(A1:A10),A10) is what I meant to post.

Gord

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:38:06 -0700, pjb wrote:

the second works, thank you!