Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto fill numbers starting with zero

I'm trying to auto fill a list of numbers, but I need the zeros at the
beginning to show in the filled cells.

For example, I type "0001 08" in my first cell. When I drag to auto fill
the next cells, Excel only puts in "2 08, 3 08, etc." I need it to fill with
"0002 08, 0003 08, etc"

I tried customizing the number format of the cells I'm filling, and that
didn't work. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure I understand but it looks like the 08 part isn't a number at all
and all you want is for the first 4 digits to increment and the 08 to remain
constant. If that's it format your column as

0000 "08"

then put
0001
0002
in the top 2 cells select them and drag down.

Mike

"pianogirlny" wrote:

I'm trying to auto fill a list of numbers, but I need the zeros at the
beginning to show in the filled cells.

For example, I type "0001 08" in my first cell. When I drag to auto fill
the next cells, Excel only puts in "2 08, 3 08, etc." I need it to fill with
"0002 08, 0003 08, etc"

I tried customizing the number format of the cells I'm filling, and that
didn't work. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Using a Custom Format will give you the appearance of having the leading
zeros, but the real value in the cell will be just the number part. If you
actually want the leading zeros to be in place, you will have to Concatenate
them into place, as any value with leading zeros is seen by Exxcel as TEXT.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3