Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel links put file in use

I have an Excel 2007 file containing a large table, and I created an
"extraction" spreadsheet that uses a workbook connection to extract data for
the folks in one of our offices. It extracts and displays the data very
well, BUT as soon as anyone opens the extraction spreadsheet I find I am
unable to open the master file. Excel just says "file in use, try again
later." Well, that's no good. I can't let my branches have veto power over
my ability to edit my master file.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way Excel is?