Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Camera picture resolution or sharpness

I used the camera icon to make a preview window/picture of a range of cells.. In that range I am creating a label basically. I then use the camera icon to take a snapshot of that area and then paste in on the sheet 11 more times. This way I have a full sheet of 12 labels (labels for sticking on a chemical bottle, OSHA MSDS info).
The question I have is about the shape object or picture that is created. It does not look as clear as the original cells that it is taking a picture of. I select the "picture" and I get the Picture Tools - Format tab from pop up. From there I can go to the "Corrections" drop down and there is a sharpen option. I can also go to format the picture and I see "Sharpness" slider and text box. But when I go to make changes to any of these they just go back to 0%.
Is there something I am doing wrong or can this only be changed by code?
I have some code, see below, that will change the brightness and contrast but nothing that changes the Sharpness of the picture, that I can find.

Does anyone know how to increase the sharpness or resolution of the picture taken by the camera icon?

Thanks
Scott Riddle

Sub TestCode()
'
ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Picture 65")).Select
ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Picture 65")).PictureFormat.IncrementBrightness = 0.1
ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Picture 65")).PictureFormat.Contrast = 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I follow you just want to take snapshots, so don't use the camera tool

In 2007 or later to copy
Select the range / Home tab / Paste button / Copy As Picture / Bitmap
and simply paste, or from the Paste button: As Picture / Paste as Picture

In 2003 or earlier (if that's what you're using ?)
Shift - Edit / Copy Picture ... /
go from there and experiment with the options

Peter T

"Scott Riddle" wrote in message
I used the camera icon to make a preview window/picture of a range of cells.
In that range I am creating a label basically. I then use the camera icon to
take a snapshot of that area and then paste in on the sheet 11 more times.
This way I have a full sheet of 12 labels (labels for sticking on a chemical
bottle, OSHA MSDS info).
The question I have is about the shape object or picture that is created. It
does not look as clear as the original cells that it is taking a picture of.
I select the "picture" and I get the Picture Tools - Format tab from pop up.
From there I can go to the "Corrections" drop down and there is a sharpen
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Interesting! I tried that and still lost my resolution though. I did find a way though from what you suggested that did work though. I highlighted the area I wanted the snapshot of, CTRL-C to copy and then I did a Paste -Linked Picture. This kept the resolution just the same as the original. The interesting thing though is that when I went to paste this picture link again it then drops the resolution of both of the pictures. The first picture and the second one that I just pasted. I am not sure why it thinks it need to drop the resolution. I am going to do some checking on the formatting controls and make sure that it isn't automatically knocking the resolution down because I compressed all the pictures or something at one time and now it is doing it "automatically" for me.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It seems to be very inconsistent as to when it drops the resolution. Is there some way to make Excel keep the pictures at their original resolution? I clicked on reset picture under format and that does not restore it. I dont know if compress is working against me or what.
Thoughts?

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Scott,

Am Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:33:48 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Scott Riddle:

It seems to be very inconsistent as to when it drops the resolution. Is there some way to make Excel keep the pictures at their original resolution? I clicked on reset picture under format and that does not restore it. I dont know if compress is working against me or what.

you can also use the OS build-in Snipping Tool to copy your range. Then
you have a real picture and you can edit it in a photo program.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I paste the linked pictures 3 times, the third time is when I can repeatably get it to drop the resolution.

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Scott Riddle" wrote in message
Interesting! I tried that and still lost my resolution though. I did find a
way though from what you suggested that did work though. I highlighted the
area I wanted the snapshot of, CTRL-C to copy and then I did a Paste -Linked
Picture. This kept the resolution just the same as the original. The
interesting thing though is that when I went to paste this picture link
again it then drops the resolution of both of the pictures. The first
picture and the second one that I just pasted. I am not sure why it thinks
it need to drop the resolution. I am going to do some checking on the
formatting controls and make sure that it isn't automatically knocking the
resolution down because I compressed all the pictures or something at one
time and now it is doing it "automatically" for me.

Scott
===========

Linked picture is in effect the camera tool.
Zoom at anything other than 100% might not help.
Not sure if printer settings might affect things, only a guess

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 10/5/2016 3:09 PM, Peter T wrote:
"Scott Riddle" wrote in message
Interesting! I tried that and still lost my resolution though. I did find a
way though from what you suggested that did work though. I highlighted the
area I wanted the snapshot of, CTRL-C to copy and then I did a Paste -Linked
Picture. This kept the resolution just the same as the original. The
interesting thing though is that when I went to paste this picture link
again it then drops the resolution of both of the pictures. The first
picture and the second one that I just pasted. I am not sure why it thinks
it need to drop the resolution. I am going to do some checking on the
formatting controls and make sure that it isn't automatically knocking the
resolution down because I compressed all the pictures or something at one
time and now it is doing it "automatically" for me.

Scott

<snip

What if you copy the image of the first picturebox to the other
picturboxes in code. IIRC and if it works the same as in VB6, you might
try using this:
picture2.picture = picture1.image
picture3.picture = picture1.image
pictureN.picture = picture1. image

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mike S" wrote in message
[...]

Something along those lines might work with Excel's builtin worksheet
(MSForms) activeX controls, one of which is an Image control and you could
do say
Dim im as Image
Set im = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("image1").Object
im.Picture = my-StdPicture object or handle

some other aX controls like buttons and labels have a similar Picture
property

However what we're talking about here are Shapes which are far more
typically used as worksheet objects. One category of shapes are Picture
objects, it's a hidden member as it's sort of legacy. But it's this type of
object that gets copied or added to a sheet. AFAIK the only way to change
the Picture object's picture (if that makes sense) is to delete the entire
picture object and start again.

Just to confuse, you can also add pictures to some other Shape objects as a
format property, but doubt that would help.

Scott,
I forgot, shape pictures have a compression property. Select a picture, on
the ribbon Format tab, in the Adjust group look at Compress Pictures

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The "Compress Picture" was what I thought may have been doing it to me. Once I compressed one picture it would compress all future ones. Kind of like "text to Columns" does once you do it and then past in more text with a delimiter it automatically breaks it out into columns.
What I was originally doing was putting a Active X Image on the sheet and then going to the properties of it where it has picture and then selecting the picture to put in it. I can only import raster type pictures though. If I could do a vecotr image it may not cut the resolution on it but it isnt a option to try.

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Scott Riddle" wrote in message
The "Compress Picture" was what I thought may have been doing it to me. Once
I compressed one picture it would compress all future ones. Kind of like
"text to Columns" does once you do it and then past in more text with a
delimiter it automatically breaks it out into columns.

What I was originally doing was putting a Active X Image on the sheet and
then going to the properties of it where it has picture and then selecting
the picture to put in it. I can only import raster type pictures though. If
I could do a vecotr image it may not cut the resolution on it but it isnt a
option to try.

Scott

When you copy cells only two image format types might be copied to the
clipboard, bmp or emf (metafile), or if you prefer raster or vector, and you
can specify which along the lines I mentioned earlier (though IIRC there was
small related bug with 2007). Assuming no zoom or compression the bmp should
give the best resolution.

What resolution do you get when you "Insert" a picture from file with
respective source types?

Did you say the objective was to store history or changes or something like
that. If so as images is a very resourse intensive way of doing it unless
there is a particular reason

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 10/6/2016 2:16 AM, Peter T wrote:
"Mike S" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for explaining Pater, sorry I wasn't following.