Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Checkbox Quandry

I have a spreadsheet with a number of non-contiguous checkboxes (forms control) in column A. Section headings break up the sequence. In column B, there is a description associated with each checkbox. I need to be able to check the status of the checkboxes - if checked, copy the description to a new sheet. If no checkbox is found, then print the section heading and continue.. The snippet below is as far as I can get before I run into problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LastRow = curWks.Cells(curWks.Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row
For iRow = 3 To LastRow
For Each myCBX In curWks.CheckBoxes
If myCBX.Value = xlOn Then
curWks.Cells(iRow, 2).Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(xCntr + 1, 1)
xCntr = xCntr + 1
End If
Next myCBX
Next iRow
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

===============================

Couple of comments at just a glance of your code and without testing
anything

Remove the iRow loop, it doesn't relate to the checkboxes so you're
repeating the same the checkbox loop multiple times.

Get the relevant row and column from the TopLeftCell of the given myCBX
object, eg
rowIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Row
colIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Column

You might want to check the position, ie TopLeftCell, is in the appropriate
cell range, or between 3 and LastRow, and if so do the copy stuff. Though
rather than "Copy" simply do rngDest.Value = rngSource.Value unless you also
want the formats

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 11:24:43 AM UTC-5, Peter T wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Peter, that worked quite well, however I'm not able to get a hold of the section headings and copy them over.
James
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

... that worked quite well, however I'm not able to get a hold of the
section headings and copy them over.

Not sure if that's a question but if so need to give more details.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 3:38:40 AM UTC-5, Peter T wrote:
wrote in message

... that worked quite well, however I'm not able to get a hold of the
section headings and copy them over.

Not sure if that's a question but if so need to give more details.

Peter T

Yes, it is a question. I went back and added checkboxes in the column in front of the section heading and checked them. I believe the issue is that they are not in order and the index is not in the correct spot. I haven't had a chance to correct it, yet, but I believe that is the issue. Would there be an easier way of doing it?
James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

... that worked quite well, however I'm not able to get a hold of the
section headings and copy them over.

Not sure if that's a question but if so need to give more details.

Peter T

Yes, it is a question. I went back and added checkboxes in the column in
front of the section heading and checked them. I believe the issue is that
they are not in order and the index is not in the correct spot. I haven't
had a chance to correct it, yet, but I believe that is the issue. Would
there be an easier way of doing it?
James

=======================

Not sure what you mean by "index not in the correct spot" ?

If you are referring to the row/col pair I suggested you return from the
checkbox's TopLeftCell, note topleft means exactly what it says. Checkboxes
tend to get positioned in the row above the row it mainly sits in, and/or
perhaps slightly to the left of most of the column it's in. In either case
you'd get the wrong row or column index relating to the cell it relates to
and your copy will appear to fail.

It might be better to define LinkedCell properties, then when looping
checkboxes refer to that rather than it's 'rough' position to ID it, or give
each checkbox a unique meaningful name, eg "CBox_006" and parse the 006 to
id it.

OTH, if you mean the index of the checkbox in the checkboxes collection,
that will be the ZOrder position, typically the order created.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

Here is how I incorporated what you advised for me.

For Each myCBX In curWks.CheckBoxes
colIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Column
rowIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Row

If myCBX.Value = xlOn Then
curWks.Cells(rowIdx, colIdx).Offset(0, 1).Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(xCntr + 1, 1)
Debug.Print rowIdx
xCntr = xCntr + 1
End If
Next myCBX

Originally, I had a checkbox on line 3, but subsequently added a checkbox on line 2, because I wanted the section header (there are 4 headers) printed and each of the standards selected (checkboxes) to go under that header. When I debug it, line 3 still shows up first and line 1 (not line 2) shows up at the very bottom. Obviously, I'm not doing something correctly!
James
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

=================================

Check what's really going on and go from there

For Each myCBX In curWks.CheckBoxes
colIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Column
rowIdx = myCBX.TopLeftCell.Row

With myCBX.TopLeftCell
colIdx = .Column
rowIdx = .Row
s1 = .Address
s2 = .Offset(0, 1).Address
If Len(.Offset(0, 1).Value) Then
v = .Offset(0, 1).Value
Else: v = "empty"
End If

End With

Debug.Print myCBX.Value, rowIdx; colIdx, s1, s2, v

Next myCBX

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not to discount Peter's sage advise...

FWIW
When I make forms I start with a blank sheet setup like graph paper so
I can use cells as checkboxes or disguise them as buttons. This makes
the form orders of magnitude more stable/reliable/efficient, especially
when the form uses outlines to expand/collapse sections. Code for
checkbox cells is put in event code behind the worksheet wherein
'Target' address is evaluated in a Select Case construct to match the
checkbox cell's named range. Event code also places a checkmark (via
Wingdings2 font) in the cell whenever anything is entered. (I instruct
to use the spacebar)

This approach has totally eliminated 'sheet control hell', and enables
making interactive forms with fantastic ease! Let me know if you're
interested to learn more...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Peter. I ran your code and found some interesting issues. First, some of the checkboxes were on the same row, which caused problems with the line count (the debug is below). Thus, when the row and column index variables returned the same values for different rows, it mis-read the checkboxes. Row 10, column 1 and row 12, column 1 were checked, the debug reads the wrong row and the offset (standard) printed is for the previous row. Inserting and checking the box at the top of the page(row 2, column 1) appears at the bottom of the debug and no offset data. I'm not sure how to proceed from here, but will play with it some more.

1 3 1 $A$3:$A$3 $B$3:$B$3 EE.RL.3.1
-4146 4 1 $A$3 $B$3 EE.RL.3.1a
-4146 5 1 $A$5 $B$5 EE.RL.3.3
-4146 6 1 $A$6 $B$6 EE.RL.3.5
-4146 7 1 $A$7 $B$7 EE.RI.3.
-4146 7 1 $A$7 $B$7 EE.RI.3.1
-4146 8 1 $A$8 $B$8 EE.RI.3.2
1 9 1 $A$9 $B$9 EE.RI.3.3
1 11 1 $A$11 $B$11 ELA.C1.2
-4146 13 1 $A$13 $B$13 EE.RI.3.
-4146 13 1 $A$13 $B$13 EE.RI.3.4
-4146 14 1 $A$14 $B$14 EE.RI.3.8
1 15 1 $A$15 $B$15 EE.L.3.5.a
1 17 1 $A$17 $B$17 ELA.C1.3
-4146 19 1 $A$19 $B$19 EE.RI.3.9
1 20 1 $A$20 $B$20 ELA.C2.1
-4146 22 1 $A$22 $B$22 EE.W.3.4
-4146 1 1 $A$1 $B$1 empty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 6:30:00 PM UTC-5, GS wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Garry, I appreciate your help. I'm not a programmer, so your a little beyond my capabilities!
James
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

If you already use code then you won't have much trouble working from a
sample. The code is boilerplate...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

================================

Checkboxes can easily end up on the same row, ie the lower one just in the
bottom of the row above, as I said before "Checkboxes
tend to get positioned in the row above the row it mainly sits in".

Typically checkboxes need a taller row height that default.

The last checkbox with row-1 in the debug is almost certainly the last one
that got added to the sheet, where it's located is irrelevant, not a problem
as long you understand. If it niggles you just send it to the back and next
time it'll be the first in the collection. Except it's in row-1 not row-2
even if it appears to be.

But some of that debug makes no sense. You've got 2 boxes in row A7, both
offset(0,1) cells are B7 as expected, yet the two B7 values are different -
they can't be! Similarly the pair in A13. Or did a last digit get truncated
in posting perhaps..

A simple macro would line up the boxes, might be worth doing, but look into
using LinkedCell as I suggested, and/or uniquely name each box and id it
that way as I suggested before.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Peter. I resized the rows and the checkboxes and that cleared up a lot of the issues. I will play with it some more and get back to you, if I have any additional questions.
James

100% quandry Mojo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 June 1st 09 01:56 PM
100% quandry Mojo Excel Programming 5 June 1st 09 10:34 AM
COUNTIF quandry JohnLute Excel Worksheet Functions 6 August 20th 07 06:29 PM
Macro Quandry Desiree Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 July 29th 05 01:32 PM
SQL Query Quandry Laphan[_2_] Excel Programming 7 April 20th 04 11:33 AM