Junior Member

Default Sorting rows

I have my recorded music collection catalogued in a worksheet where column A shows the date when a new addition to my collection is added, column B shows the sequential number identifying the recording, column C shows the name of the composer. Other columns show the names of the orchestra, performers etc. I would like to sort this worksheet in alphabetical order of composer in such a way that the whole row moves i.e the sheet would appear the same after sorting; apart from the catalogue numbers in column B which would no longer be sequential.
I would normally maintain the worksheet in this composer sorted condition but I will need to be able to revert to the original condition when I want to add a further recording and need to locate and allocate the next sequential number.

Can anyone tell me if and how this can be achieved?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Sun, 8 Sep 2013 15:25:53 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I have my recorded music collection catalogued in a worksheet where
column A shows the date when a new addition to my collection is added,
column B shows the sequential number identifying the recording, column C
shows the name of the composer. Other columns show the names of the
orchestra, performers etc. I would like to sort this worksheet in
alphabetical order of composer in such a way that the whole row moves
i.e the sheet would appear the same after sorting; apart from the
catalogue numbers in column B which would no longer be sequential.
I would normally maintain the worksheet in this composer sorted
condition but I will need to be able to revert to the original condition
when I want to add a further recording and need to locate and allocate
the next sequential number.

select one cell in your table = Data = Sort.
In the new dialog choose Sort by column C

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
[...]

Thanks Claus - easy when you know how!
Junior Member

Having sorted part of my worksheet, thanks to Claus, I am now wondering if it is possible to individually sort sections of the sheet.
The single page sheet shows the sequential catalogue number in three groups and I have sorted the cd's section O.K. but I would now like to sort the Digital and DVD sections independently of each other and of the cd section. Is this possible or will I have to split the sheet into three pages and independently sort each page?

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading "DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

Last edited by Quilp : September 11th 13 at 07:27 PM Reason: Tried to attach my worksheet but failed
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:12:21 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the
following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started
using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading
"DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

insert 2 empty rows between the different sections. Then you can sort
the three parts in three actions

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
Hi,

Am Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:12:21 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the
following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started
using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading
"DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

insert 2 empty rows between the different sections. Then you can sort
the three parts in three actions

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Thank you Claus - your help to this old newbie is much appreciated.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilp View Post
Thank you Claus - your help to this old newbie is much appreciated.
I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:57:52 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the
sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use
the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this
number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

I don't really understand what number you are looking for.
If you have sorted by composer the numbers are not in order.
The last number in column B you get with:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B)
But the highest number you get with:
=MAX(B:B)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

[quote=Claus Busch;1613831]Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:57:52 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the
sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use
the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this
number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

I don't really understand what number you are looking for.
If you have sorted by composer the numbers are not in order.
The last number in column B you get with:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B)
But the highest number you get with:
=MAX(B:B)

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way to do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:16:11 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to
find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly
entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

in which column are your numbers? You have to modify the references to
your sheet.

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my
cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and
entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way
to do it.

Another way is to insert a new column with your medium, e.g. CD, DVD.
Then you can put your tables together to one table, you can sort first
by medium and then by composer and if you want enter new data you can
sort by number, and so on.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Junior Member

[...]

The numbers, now out of sequence, are in column B
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:04:47 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

The numbers, now out of sequence, are in column B

if the name of the CD or DVD is in column E and you will look for the
highest sequential number of the name in E1, then try:
=MAX(IF(E1:E1000=E1,B1:B1000))
and enter the array formula with CTRL+Shift+Enter.
If i still misunderstand your problem please upload a sample.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2[/quote]

I can't see a file format listed in the "Attach Files" which allows me to attach my worksheet. I apologise if my posts are confusing as a result of inexperience of worksheets so let me try again:
Column A shows the catalogue number I have allocated to the recording (cd's, for example, have a label on them showing this number) When I buy a new recording, either cd or mp3 download, I allocate the next number. This was easy when the numbers were in sequential order but now, after sorting the sheet in alphabetical order of composer listed in column D, the numbers in column A are no longer in sequential order which is to be expected. This makes it difficult to find the last number used so as to enable me to allocate the next to a newly acquired recording. I would like to like to either put a formula in the next A cell which would return this number or find it in some other way.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2[/quote]

Last edited by Quilp : September 13th 13 at 05:18 PM Reason: message was shown in duplicate
Junior Member

[...]
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2[/quote][/quote]
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:16:50 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

Column A shows the catalogue number I have allocated to the recording
(cd's, for example, have a label on them showing this number)

try:
=MAX(A:A)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:16:50 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

Column A shows the catalogue number I have allocated to the recording
(cd's, for example, have a label on them showing this number)

try:
=MAX(A:A)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
I have been trying this function(?) but the results are confusing. If I try it in column A it works (not that I need to use it in this column because it is in sequential order) but when I use it in column B, which contains the same numbers but out of sequence following the sorting previously discussed, it returns zero. Is it the case that you cannot use the MAX function in columns that have been sorted? Or, perhaps it should be applied before sorting to make it work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:54:32 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I have been trying this function(?) but the results are confusing. If I
try it in column A it works (not that I need to use it in this column
because it is in sequential order) but when I use it in column B, which
contains the same numbers but out of sequence following the sorting
previously discussed, it returns zero. Is it the case that you cannot
use the MAX function in columns that have been sorted? Or, perhaps it
should be applied before sorting to make it work.

if the MAX function returns 0 your numbers are text formatted.
Write a 1 in an empty cell, copy this cell, select all numbers in column
B, Insert = Paste Special = Multiply

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

[...]

The PlanMaker Paste Special is, I suspect, different to Excel and I am unable to follow your instruction. It seems that I will have to use the extra column A, containing the sequential numbers, in order to locate the last.
I should not really be using this forum because I do not have Excel but it is so much better than the PlanMaker forums. Thanks for all your help Claus - it is much appreciated. Perhaps one day, if you have nothing better to do, you could download the free version of PlanMaker and see if you can resolve this MAX problem!
Regards
Quilp

Sorting rows out of order after all rows are numbered in sequence Mikey Excel Programming 1 December 16th 09 11:41 PM
sorting rows Mike Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 7th 09 08:54 PM
Sorting block of rows with empty rows between it jgmiddel[_9_] Excel Programming 1 October 2nd 08 01:38 PM
Sorting rows Lowell Excel Programming 4 May 13th 07 05:54 AM
[sorting rows] digisummo Excel Worksheet Functions 1 June 16th 06 03:45 PM