Pascale

Default Pivot Table, can't group

Hello
I am new at pivot table.
I am trying to group the dates contained in my column heading by month and I
always get the message "cannot group that selection"
I have checked that the data source used is properly formatted as a date.
Can someone help please? thanks
Debra Dalgleish

Even if they look like dates, some may really be text. You could try one
of the techniques shown here, to convert them to numbers:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

If that doesn't work, there are a few more suggestions he

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

GarethG

Whenever I build a new pivot table and start grouping, I generally place
the pivot field item (in your case 'Date') in the pivot row area,
without any other field dropped into the pivot table.
From here I right click then select group, and grouping options etc.
However, in some instances where the source data has been 'dirty' I
have had problems grouping when there where blanks or NULL values in my
original data, so if it is possible in your case, try and filter this
out before supply the data to your pivot table

Regards
GarethG

--
GarethG