Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help!!!

I have a set of 24 #'s. is there an easy way(*formula) to tell me the
combination of those #'s to equal a given #? Example( my set of numbers are
1,2,3,4,5 etc..) i need to know a combination equaling to 10. and an answer
would be 2,3,5. I understand there could be more than one combination but is
there any formual that could help me do something like this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no formula to do that kind of thing... Your example actually has 9
solutions...

10.00
6.00 4.00
7.00 3.00
8.00 2.00
9.00 1.00
5.00 4.00 1.00
5.00 3.00 2.00
6.00 3.00 1.00
7.00 2.00 1.00

Doing this requires code and and little bit of knowledge... Here is the
code. To make the references in the VBE (where you write the code) select
Tools - References and check off Microsoft Scripting Runtime &Microsoft
VBScript Regular Expressions 1.0

Option Explicit
'This *REQUIRES* VBAProject references to
'Microsoft Scripting Runtime
'Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 1.0
'Written by Harlan Grove

Sub FindSums()
Const TOL As Double = 0.000001 'modify as needed
Dim c As Variant

Dim j As Long, k As Long, n As Long, p As Boolean
Dim s As String, t As Double, u As Double
Dim v As Variant, x As Variant, y As Variant
Dim dc1 As New Dictionary, dc2 As New Dictionary
Dim dcn As Dictionary, dco As Dictionary
Dim re As New RegExp

re.Global = True
re.IgnoreCase = True

On Error Resume Next

Set x = Application.InputBox( _
Prompt:="Enter range of values:", _
Title:="findsums", _
Default:="", _
Type:=8 _
)

If x Is Nothing Then
Err.Clear
Exit Sub
End If

y = Application.InputBox( _
Prompt:="Enter target value:", _
Title:="findsums", _
Default:="", _
Type:=1 _
)

If VarType(y) = vbBoolean Then
Exit Sub
Else
t = y
End If

On Error GoTo 0

Set dco = dc1
Set dcn = dc2

Call recsoln

For Each y In x.Value2
If VarType(y) = vbDouble Then
If Abs(t - y) < TOL Then
recsoln "+" & Format(y)

ElseIf dco.Exists(y) Then
dco(y) = dco(y) + 1

ElseIf y < t - TOL Then
dco.Add Key:=y, Item:=1

c = CDec(c + 1)
Application.StatusBar = "[1] " & Format(c)

Next y

n = dco.Count

ReDim v(1 To n, 1 To 3)

For k = 1 To n
v(k, 1) = dco.Keys(k - 1)
v(k, 2) = dco.Items(k - 1)
Next k

qsortd v, 1, n

For k = n To 1 Step -1
v(k, 3) = v(k, 1) * v(k, 2) + v(IIf(k = n, n, k + 1), 3)
If v(k, 3) t Then dcn.Add Key:="+" & Format(v(k, 1)), Item:=v(k, 1)
Next k

On Error GoTo CleanUp
Application.EnableEvents = False

For k = 2 To n
dco.RemoveAll
swapo dco, dcn

For Each y In dco.Keys
p = False

For j = 1 To n
If v(j, 3) < t - dco(y) - TOL Then Exit For

x = v(j, 1)
s = "+" & Format(x)
If Right(y, Len(s)) = s Then p = True

If p Then
re.Pattern = "\" & s & "(?=(\+|$))"
If re.Execute(y).Count < v(j, 2) Then
u = dco(y) + x

If Abs(t - u) < TOL Then
recsoln y & s

ElseIf u < t - TOL Then
dcn.Add Key:=y & s, Item:=u

c = CDec(c + 1)
Application.StatusBar = "[" & Format(k) & "] " & Format(c)

Next j
Next y

If dcn.Count = 0 Then Exit For
Next k

If (recsoln() = 0) Then _
MsgBox Prompt:="all combinations exhausted", Title:="No Solution"

CleanUp:
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.StatusBar = False

End Sub

Private Function recsoln(Optional s As String)
Const OUTPUTWSN As String = "findsums solutions" 'modify to taste

Static r As Range
Dim ws As Worksheet

If s = "" And r Is Nothing Then
On Error Resume Next
Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(OUTPUTWSN)

If ws Is Nothing Then
Err.Clear
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set ws = ActiveSheet
Set r = Worksheets.Add.Range("A1")
r.Parent.Name = OUTPUTWSN
ws.Activate
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Else
ws.Cells.Clear
Set r = ws.Range("A1")

End If

recsoln = 0

ElseIf s = "" Then
recsoln = r.Row - 1
Set r = Nothing

Else
r.Value = s
Set r = r.Offset(1, 0)
recsoln = r.Row - 1

End If

End Function

Private Sub qsortd(v As Variant, lft As Long, rgt As Long)
'ad hoc quicksort subroutine
'translated from Aho, Weinberger & Kernighan,
'"The Awk Programming Language", page 161

Dim j As Long, pvt As Long

If (lft = rgt) Then Exit Sub

swap2 v, lft, lft + Int((rgt - lft + 1) * Rnd)

pvt = lft

For j = lft + 1 To rgt
If v(j, 1) v(lft, 1) Then
pvt = pvt + 1
swap2 v, pvt, j
End If
Next j

swap2 v, lft, pvt

qsortd v, lft, pvt - 1
qsortd v, pvt + 1, rgt
End Sub

Private Sub swap2(v As Variant, i As Long, j As Long)
'modified version of the swap procedure from
'translated from Aho, Weinberger & Kernighan,
'"The Awk Programming Language", page 161

Dim t As Variant, k As Long

For k = LBound(v, 2) To UBound(v, 2)
t = v(i, k)
v(i, k) = v(j, k)
v(j, k) = t
Next k
End Sub

Private Sub swapo(a As Object, b As Object)
Dim t As Object

Set t = a
Set a = b
Set b = t
End Sub
'---- end VBA code ----

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Yoink!" wrote:

I have a set of 24 #'s. is there an easy way(*formula) to tell me the
combination of those #'s to equal a given #? Example( my set of numbers are
1,2,3,4,5 etc..) i need to know a combination equaling to 10. and an answer
would be 2,3,5. I understand there could be more than one combination but is
there any formual that could help me do something like this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This can be done with formulas. I have done such a thing for a postage
calculator.
If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel