Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using Data from Drop Down Menus in Sum Formulas

Hi there,
I'd like to set up a spreadsheet with numerical drop down menus, the
selected values of which can then be taken and added together using the sum
function. I've tried adding in a drop down using the forms tool bar but sum
function won't seem to add the values.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Will
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Think the numbers you are trying to sum are text numbers

Instead of, say: =SUM(I1:I10)

Try, array-entered, ie press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
instead of just pressing ENTER:
=SUM(I1:I10+0)
--
Max
Singapore
"Will Emms" wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like to set up a spreadsheet with numerical drop down menus, the
selected values of which can then be taken and added together using the sum
function. I've tried adding in a drop down using the forms tool bar but sum
function won't seem to add the values.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Will

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Max,
Thanks for that but that still doesn't seem to work. Do you think I might
need to format the numbers in the drop down menu?
What do you reckon?
Will

"Will Emms" wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like to set up a spreadsheet with numerical drop down menus, the
selected values of which can then be taken and added together using the sum
function. I've tried adding in a drop down using the forms tool bar but sum
function won't seem to add the values.
Can anybody help?
Thanks
Will

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Formatting doesn't change underlying values. I wonder if you did array-enter
the suggested formula correctly? It should work ok. If you did array enter it
correctly you should see that the formula is wrapped with curly braces: { }
in the formula bar. These braces are inserted by Excel. Perhaps try it again?
Just click inside the formula bar where you placed: =SUM(I1:I10+0), then
press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. The addition of the zero: +0 should suffice to coerce
the text numbers within I1:I10 to real numbers, but the formula needs to be
array-entered.

Old data in Pivot Table drop-down menus Steve Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 August 29th 06 06:21 PM
Drop-down menus to store different data workerboy Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 5th 06 04:07 AM
Adding sub-menus and actions to data in drop down lists in Excel 2 cchcc Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 2nd 06 03:38 PM
Drop-Down Menus in Data Entry Form? [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 December 29th 05 05:22 AM
formulas for drop down menus Char Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 July 18th 05 07:29 PM