Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel 2007 link is invalid after referenced book is replaced

I have a "Dashboard.XLS" in Excel 2007 with some cells that reference various
other ERP generated EXCEL workbooks.
like this ='S:\Dashboard\Data\[INVENTORY.XLS]Summary'!$D$2/1000
The generated EXCEL sheet [INVENTORY.XLS]summary is replaced each night.
When I open dashboard.xls it doen't update or anything and if I click -
ribbon - data - edit links, the dialog indicates that each link is "unknown".
If I update or check the status it changes to "Error: Source not found". If I
click "Open Source" it opens just fine. If I "Change Source" and navigate to
the workbook it returns the value and the status behaves as before.

I have a hyperlink specified in the same cell as the formula and it always
works.

I want to be able to replace the referenced workbook using my mainframe
script and have the new data display in my dashboard.xls

Needless to say, my "Dashboard" is brain dead. The links don't update. If it
were really a dashboard I would get a speeding ticket just before I ran out
of gas.

Thanks everyone -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I seem to remember someone else remarking on links to workbooks
generated by a non-Excel package having problems like this.

If you open the new Inventory.xls in Excel and save and close it, does
the dashboard workbook then update OK? If so, I suspect the generating
software is not creating a workbook in quite the correct format for
Excel to link to.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England