#1   Report Post  

Question Excel Bug

I have a rather complicated spreadsheet with about 30 interlinked tabs running cash flow analysis - it's definitely a workhorse spreadsheet. The last couple of times I've tried to use it, I've noticed the following error:

When I input data into a cell (any cell) and press Return, the data gets entered but the cell remains blank (and without the highlighted border of an active cell) and Excel does not advance the cell and I cannot see it (i.e. it does not have the highlighted border) . If I press Return twice, it appears that nothing happens and I still cannot determine which cell is active; but if the data entered is a link to a cell on another tab, the second pressing of Return will bring me back to the tab on which I was entering the data but the screen will be blank until i left-click the mouse. I know that Excel knows that I am moving the active cell around with the arrow keys because I can see the cell reference change in the cell name box. In either case, Excel only returns to 'normal' operation (i.e. showing me what I just entered, allowing me to control the cursor where I can actually see it) when I left-click the mouse.

Otherwise, everything appears to be operating normally.

If anyone has any thoughts on what might cause this abnormality or how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. This error is a strange one and I don't even know how to search for fixes.

Thanks -
  #2   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinatus_c View Post
I have a rather complicated spreadsheet with about 30 interlinked tabs running cash flow analysis - it's definitely a workhorse spreadsheet. The last couple of times I've tried to use it, I've noticed the following error:

When I input data into a cell (any cell) and press Return, the data gets entered but the cell remains blank (and without the highlighted border of an active cell) and Excel does not advance the cell and I cannot see it (i.e. it does not have the highlighted border) . If I press Return twice, it appears that nothing happens and I still cannot determine which cell is active; but if the data entered is a link to a cell on another tab, the second pressing of Return will bring me back to the tab on which I was entering the data but the screen will be blank until i left-click the mouse. I know that Excel knows that I am moving the active cell around with the arrow keys because I can see the cell reference change in the cell name box. In either case, Excel only returns to 'normal' operation (i.e. showing me what I just entered, allowing me to control the cursor where I can actually see it) when I left-click the mouse.

Otherwise, everything appears to be operating normally.

If anyone has any thoughts on what might cause this abnormality or how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. This error is a strange one and I don't even know how to search for fixes.

Thanks -
PROBLEM SOLVED

Apologies for posting and then almost immediately realizing what the problem is: a data table. I thought I had that sheet on manual calculation but I didn't - it was freezing the whole spreadsheet every time I tried to do something. I hope this helps someone sometime...