Junior Member

Default sideways stacked bar charts with line series on the same axis

I am using stacked bar charts to show the various stages a patient goes through in their visit to the Doctor's office. Each stacked bar represents one patient. Most of the stages all follow in a linear sequence, but a few key points do not. For those, I am trying to add markers using line charts. So, there are the stages that follow one another, each with the time value for that particular patient, one stacked on the other, and then there are the markers indicating where the non-linear events occurred.

I add the non-linear events, such as when the MD walks into the exam room, as another series but change that series to a line chart instead of a bar chart, and take out the "line" but leave the marker.

I end up with stacked bars showing how long each patient waited at each stage, and a marker where the MD intervened (sometimes they come out to the waiting area, sometimes they see the patient early in their exam room, sometimes the patient waits in the exam room a long time before the MD enters --- the marker for the MD can fall anywhere on the stack).

The problem I am having is turning this sideways so that you can follow the stages left to right. You can select a sideways stacked bar chart, and that does show the stages for each patient from left to right. But it does not appear that excel allows you to do the same with the line chart series. Changing the chart type to a side-ways stacked bar only works for the bars, and not the line. So, you end up with line markers that are not related to the same axis as the stacked bars, and Excel now adds a second axis when you try to do this.

Is there a way to have both a sideways stacked bar chart with a line chart that also runs sideways on the same axis?

Last edited by Spence Tepper : May 17th 12 at 05:15 PM