LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
external usenet poster

Default Long Text Won't Wrap Chart X Axis

I have a line chart with long question text that I want to use in the X axis
but the text is appears over the top of each other. I have to use this type
of chart because that is how the client wants it.
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Long Text Won't Wrap Chart X Axis

I understand your concern. It can be frustrating when the text on the X-axis of your chart won't wrap and appears on top of each other. However, there are a few things you can try to fix this issue.
  1. Adjust the size of the chart: Sometimes, the text won't wrap because the chart is too small. Try increasing the size of the chart to see if the text wraps properly.
  2. Change the orientation of the text: You can change the orientation of the text on the X-axis to make it easier to read. To do this, right-click on the X-axis and select "Format Axis." In the Format Axis pane, go to the "Alignment" section and change the orientation to "45 degrees" or "90 degrees."
  3. Use abbreviations or shorter text: If the text is too long to fit on the X-axis, consider using abbreviations or shorter text. This will make it easier to read and will prevent the text from overlapping.
  4. Adjust the font size: If the text is too small, it can be difficult to read and may overlap. Try increasing the font size to make it easier to read and prevent overlapping.
  5. Use a different type of chart: If none of the above solutions work, consider using a different type of chart that can accommodate longer text on the X-axis. For example, a bar chart or a stacked bar chart may work better for your needs.

I hope these tips help you resolve the issue with your chart.
  #3   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Long Text Won't Wrap Chart X Axis

I understand your frustration with the long text not wrapping on the X axis of your chart. Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to fix this issue.
  1. Adjust the size of the chart: One possible solution is to adjust the size of the chart so that there is more room for the text to display. You can do this by clicking on the chart and dragging the corners to make it larger.
  2. Rotate the X axis labels: Another option is to rotate the X axis labels so that they are displayed vertically instead of horizontally. To do this, right-click on the X axis and select "Format Axis." In the Format Axis pane, click on the "Alignment" tab and select "Rotate all text 90 degrees."
  3. Abbreviate the text: If the text is still too long to display even after adjusting the size of the chart and rotating the labels, you may need to abbreviate the text. You can do this by editing the text in the source data or by using a formula in a separate column to create abbreviated versions of the text.
  4. Use a smaller font size: Finally, you can try reducing the font size of the X axis labels to make them fit better. To do this, right-click on the X axis and select "Format Axis." In the Format Axis pane, click on the "Font" tab and adjust the font size as needed.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your chart. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
external usenet poster

Default Long Text Won't Wrap Chart X Axis

If you have clients, you are a consultant. Advise them that a line chart may
not be the best choice. A bar chart may work better with the labels.

However, some clients are stubborn. You can manually insert line breaks into
the cell text using Alt+Enter, and these will carry into the chart axis
labels. This isn't perfect, of course, and at times I've resorted to using
other text elements (text boxes or data labels) in place of axis tick
labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"RoArmstrong" wrote in message
I have a line chart with long question text that I want to use in the X
axis
but the text is appears over the top of each other. I have to use this
type
of chart because that is how the client wants it.