Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I open a workbook automatically in Excel 2007/Vista

In previous versions of Excel I could save a workbook to the xlstart folder
to have it open automatically when Excel started. This does not seem to work
in 2007. I located the xlstart folder with some difficulty and managed to
copy my workbook there. The workbook loads when I start Excel but I am
prevented from saving changes to it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens when you try to save changes to it? Error message? Something
else? Are you sure you are saving it to the right location? On my Vista
machine, XLStart is:

C:\Users\<USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exce l\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLSB

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Gildawie" wrote in message
In previous versions of Excel I could save a workbook to the xlstart
folder
to have it open automatically when Excel started. This does not seem to
work
in 2007. I located the xlstart folder with some difficulty and managed to
copy my workbook there. The workbook loads when I start Excel but I am
prevented from saving changes to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks for the reply, and sorry for my late response due to 'flu.

The only existing xlstart folder I was able to locate was
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\xlstart
(first place I checked was in C:\Users\%Username%\AppData... location)

When I copied my file to the ...Program Files... location (had to use
elevated privileges) it would load on startup of Excel but I would get an
"Access Denied" message if I tried to save any changes.

Only thing I could think of to get around that would have been to run Excel
as administrator every time. Didn't think that was a good idea(!)

Following your reply I have created the folder as per your example and it is
working as expected. (I would have thought it should be created
automatically?)

Once again, thanks for your help.