Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bac bac is offline

Default Criteria length limit in SUMIF()

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Criteria length limit in SUMIF()

There is no specific limit on the number of characters that can be used in the criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function. However, there may be other factors causing the incorrect results you are experiencing.

One possibility is that there may be leading or trailing spaces in the strings in column A or B, which can cause the criteria to not match exactly. You can try using the TRIM() function to remove any extra spaces before or after the strings.

Another possibility is that the strings in column A or B may contain special characters or formatting that is not visible, but is affecting the matching criteria. You can try copying the strings to a new column and using the CLEAN() function to remove any non-printable characters.

If neither of these solutions work, it may be helpful to provide more information about the specific results you are getting and the data in your worksheet.
  1. Check for leading or trailing spaces in the strings in column A or B using the TRIM() function.
  2. Copy the strings to a new column and use the CLEAN() function to remove any non-printable characters.
  3. If the issue persists, provide more information about the specific results and data in your worksheet.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bac bac is offline

Thanx Dave, but

No, strings in column A may recur multiple times in Col C.

This is "typical" use for SUMIF() i.e. to combine multiple occurences into
1 - no?

BAC

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is it possible that there are trailing spaces (or other invisbile
characters) in the Col_A values, making them appear to be matches when, in
fact, they are not?
Test by copying the Col_B value into a Col_A cell that you believe should be
a match, but isn't being picked up by the formula.

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"BAC" wrote in message
XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is certainly not typical having a different size of the range you want
have evaluated A1:A30 and the sum range C1:C75, besides it is useless since
you can't get it to sum beyond C30 anyway. Nevertheless I tested with a
criteria string that had 100 characters without any problems

Peo Sjoblom

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Dave

I believe the SUMIF function ignores the size of the 2nd argument's range.
Instead, it uses a range that is the same size as the 1st argument's
range...but, begins in the first cell refenced in the 2nd argument. That's
why SUMIF works if you only use a 1-cell reference in the 2nd argument.

Example:
These variations all return the same value
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1:B10)
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1:B3)
=SUMIF(A1:A10,"DAVE",B1)

Best Regards,

Ron

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Um....all references to the "2nd" argument should be to the "3rd" argument
(more coffee anyone?).

=SUMIF(1st_arg, 2nd_arg, 3rd_arg)

Ron

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bac bac is offline

oops-Sorry, you're right..the formula should have been:

SUMIF($A$2:$A$75,"="&B2,$C$2:$C$75) and column B has only 30 rows

Nonetheless, the discussion so far has not answered the original question..

Another individual here has been slowly reducing the size of the test fields
and has found that he finally gets correct results at a length of 15. Fields
of 16 or greater continue to return erroneous results. The fields being
compared are text strings of numbers. that you tested with 100 characters
suggests that my problem is not in the legth of the fields, but somewhere
else.

I'd still like to know if there's a limit tho??

Thanx
BAC

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, what perfect timing!

Here's an example of where this behavior comes into play:

http://tinyurl.com/ypb5km

You'll notice in my formula I use OFFSET. This is so that the mentioned
behavior in SUMIF doesn't "accidentally" include any cells below A1. Using
OFFSET limits the SUMIF(arg1,....arg3) to be the same size.

Biff

BAC wrote:

XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50
characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...).
Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does

=SUMPRODUCT($A$2:$A$75=B2)+0,$C$2:$C$75)

yield results different from those you obtain with:

SUMIF($A$2:$A$75,"="&B2,$C$2:$C$75) ?

BAC wrote:
XP Pro/Office 2003 PRO

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used in the
criteria section of a SUMIF()/COUNTIF() function?

Columns A & B consists of strings with a length of 30 to 50 characters.

I get incorrect results when I try to SUMIF($A$1:$A$30, "=" & B2,
$C$1:$C$75) (This formula is copied down so B2 becomes B3;B4;B5...). Is
this
a SUMIF limit problem or do I need to look elsewhere for the weird
results
I'm getting?

TIA
BAC
--

Dave Peterson

Junior Member

I realise this is a very old post, but to answer the original question:
The criteria bit in a countif/sumif formula can be max 255 characters. Anything above will result in a #VALUE. (Excel 2010 and I`m guessing 2007 also)