LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  

Default Count value in range, but exclude based on adjacent value.

Hi.

In the attached spreadsheet, is there any way to count the number of times "A" appears in column B, but exclude the times it appears next to "saf" in column A? So the answer should be 3, but how do you get there using a formula?

Thanks.

Last edited by amacrab : November 7th 12 at 12:11 PM Reason: clarification
  #2   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrab View Post
Hi.

In the attached spreadsheet, is there any way to count the number of times "A" appears in column B, but exclude the times it appears next to "saf" in column A?

Thanks.
Attachment added
Attached Images

#3   Report Post  

Quote:
Attachment added

Have a look at the attached. I've included a SUMPRODUCT and a SUMIFS approach for this. The SUMIFS one will only work in Excel 2007 or later.
Attached Files
File Type: zip amacrab example.zip (5.5 KB, 58 views)
  #4   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Have a look at the attached. I've included a SUMPRODUCT and a SUMIFS approach for this. The SUMIFS one will only work in Excel 2007 or later.
Always amazed at how much excellent help you can get on these forums. Thank you!
  #5   Report Post  

Quote:
Always amazed at how much excellent help you can get on these forums. Thank you!
The pleasure is all mine :)