Junior Member

Default Count value in range, but exclude based on adjacent value.

Hi.

In the attached spreadsheet, is there any way to count the number of times "A" appears in column B, but exclude the times it appears next to "saf" in column A? So the answer should be 3, but how do you get there using a formula?

Thanks.

Last edited by amacrab : November 7th 12 at 12:11 PM Reason: clarification
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrab View Post
Hi.

In the attached spreadsheet, is there any way to count the number of times "A" appears in column B, but exclude the times it appears next to "saf" in column A?

Thanks.
Attachment added
Attached Images

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrab View Post
Attachment added

Have a look at the attached. I've included a SUMPRODUCT and a SUMIFS approach for this. The SUMIFS one will only work in Excel 2007 or later.
Attached Files
File Type: zip amacrab example.zip (5.5 KB, 58 views)
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Have a look at the attached. I've included a SUMPRODUCT and a SUMIFS approach for this. The SUMIFS one will only work in Excel 2007 or later.
Always amazed at how much excellent help you can get on these forums. Thank you!
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrab View Post
Always amazed at how much excellent help you can get on these forums. Thank you!
The pleasure is all mine :)