A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 27th 05, 02:31 PM
ch90
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.

dear excel lovers,

one spreadsheet (2000 records), 2 columns, staff_id (700 unique records) and
skill_id (10 unique records). one staff can have one or more skill and I need
to know how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.

somehow it seems easy on paper but I can't found anything on the access or
excekl forums because I don't know what to look for!!

help, I need somebody, help, ...
chris90

Ads
  #2  
Old October 27th 05, 03:13 PM
Ron Coderre
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.

With your list in columns A and B, with headings in A1 and B1, try this
formula:

For staff with 3 skills:
D1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=3)/3)

For staff with 2 skills:
E1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=2)/2)

Does that help?

--
Regards,
Ron


"ch90" wrote:

> dear excel lovers,
>
> one spreadsheet (2000 records), 2 columns, staff_id (700 unique records) and
> skill_id (10 unique records). one staff can have one or more skill and I need
> to know how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.
>
> somehow it seems easy on paper but I can't found anything on the access or
> excekl forums because I don't know what to look for!!
>
> help, I need somebody, help, ...
> chris90
>

  #3  
Old October 27th 05, 03:29 PM
ch90
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc

simple and elegant, it is working like a charm
many thanks you saved my day

chris90

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> With your list in columns A and B, with headings in A1 and B1, try this
> formula:
>
> For staff with 3 skills:
> D1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=3)/3)
>
> For staff with 2 skills:
> E1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=2)/2)
>
> Does that help?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ron
>
>
> "ch90" wrote:
>
> > dear excel lovers,
> >
> > one spreadsheet (2000 records), 2 columns, staff_id (700 unique records) and
> > skill_id (10 unique records). one staff can have one or more skill and I need
> > to know how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.
> >
> > somehow it seems easy on paper but I can't found anything on the access or
> > excekl forums because I don't know what to look for!!
> >
> > help, I need somebody, help, ...
> > chris90
> >

  #4  
Old October 27th 05, 03:52 PM
Ron Coderre
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

--
Regards,
Ron


"ch90" wrote:

> simple and elegant, it is working like a charm
> many thanks you saved my day
>
> chris90
>
> "Ron Coderre" wrote:
>
> > With your list in columns A and B, with headings in A1 and B1, try this
> > formula:
> >
> > For staff with 3 skills:
> > D1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=3)/3)
> >
> > For staff with 2 skills:
> > E1: =SUMPRODUCT((COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,$A$2:$A$2000)=2)/2)
> >
> > Does that help?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >
> >
> > "ch90" wrote:
> >
> > > dear excel lovers,
> > >
> > > one spreadsheet (2000 records), 2 columns, staff_id (700 unique records) and
> > > skill_id (10 unique records). one staff can have one or more skill and I need
> > > to know how many staff have 1 skill, how many staff have 2 skills, etc.
> > >
> > > somehow it seems easy on paper but I can't found anything on the access or
> > > excekl forums because I don't know what to look for!!
> > >
> > > help, I need somebody, help, ...
> > > chris90
> > >

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(A = 3) = ... :( JemyM New Users to Excel 5 September 5th 05 01:30 PM
Basic skills testing Rob Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 August 19th 05 08:03 PM
Allocate workload evenly to different staff KC Excel Worksheet Functions 2 February 19th 05 11:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.