A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Simple Charting Problem, Please



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 25th 16, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob[_19_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 72
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

Hello,

Using Excel from, I think, 2007, and Windows 10.

Haven't used in a while, and I am probably forgetting things, but
this is really confusing me.

If anyone can help me out, would be most appreciative.

Plotting Blood p:

Column A has dates.
Column B has pressure.

Really a simple setup.
Scatter graph is desired, with straight lines between the actual points.

Lets say I have 10 dates.

If I select these 10 to plot, no problem.
Does it all nicely.

But if I select, e.g., 15 rows to Plot, with
the last five being Blank, it won't do it.

In the "Select Data", the dates only show for the first case, where
there is actual data in the cells.

What am I missing (as usual), or doing wrong ?

I would really like to have the resultant graph set up
to encompass a wide range of dates, even though we may have no data
filled in (yet) for many of them.

Happy Holidays, and thanks,
Bob
Ads
  #2  
Old December 25th 16, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Claus Busch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,453
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

Hi Bob,

Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 10:56:29 -0500 schrieb Bob:

> Plotting Blood p:
>
> Column A has dates.
> Column B has pressure.
>
> Really a simple setup.
> Scatter graph is desired, with straight lines between the actual points.
>
> Lets say I have 10 dates.
>
> If I select these 10 to plot, no problem.
> Does it all nicely.
>
> But if I select, e.g., 15 rows to Plot, with
> the last five being Blank, it won't do it.


name the ranges of x and y values and use these names for the chart.Then
your chart is always present with the current data.
Have a look:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqMiGBK2qniTgYI-fCz3P6SW4iUuyQ


Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
  #3  
Old December 25th 16, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 714
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

> Hi Bob,
>
> Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 10:56:29 -0500 schrieb Bob:
>
>> Plotting Blood p:
>>
>> Column A has dates.
>> Column B has pressure.
>>
>> Really a simple setup.
>> Scatter graph is desired, with straight lines between the actual
>> points.
>>
>> Lets say I have 10 dates.
>>
>> If I select these 10 to plot, no problem.
>> Does it all nicely.
>>
>> But if I select, e.g., 15 rows to Plot, with
>> the last five being Blank, it won't do it.

>
> name the ranges of x and y values and use these names for the
> chart.Then your chart is always present with the current data.
> Have a look:
> https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqMiGBK2qniTgYI-fCz3P6SW4iUuyQ
>
>
> Regards
> Claus B.


Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and its
chart auto-updates accordingly!

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #4  
Old December 26th 16, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William B. (Billby)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

On 26/12/2016 4:42 AM, GS wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 10:56:29 -0500 schrieb Bob:
>>
>>> Plotting Blood p:
>>>
>>> Column A has dates.
>>> Column B has pressure.
>>>
>>> Really a simple setup.
>>> Scatter graph is desired, with straight lines between the actual points.
>>>
>>> Lets say I have 10 dates.
>>>
>>> If I select these 10 to plot, no problem.
>>> Does it all nicely.
>>>
>>> But if I select, e.g., 15 rows to Plot, with
>>> the last five being Blank, it won't do it.

>>
>> name the ranges of x and y values and use these names for the chart.Then your chart is always
>> present with the current data.
>> Have a look:
>> https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqMiGBK2qniTgYI-fCz3P6SW4iUuyQ
>>
>>
>> Regards
>> Claus B.

>
> Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and its chart auto-updates accordingly!
>


Excellent advice from Claus and GS, however creating a 'Dynamic Named Range' for a casual Excel user
is not a trivial task... Amongst other things it requires knowledge of the OFFSET function.

This link provides a detailed explanation:

http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/d...med-range.html

  #5  
Old December 26th 16, 01:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 714
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

> On 26/12/2016 4:42 AM, GS wrote:
>>> Hi Bob,
>>>
>>> Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 10:56:29 -0500 schrieb Bob:
>>>
>>>> Plotting Blood p:
>>>>
>>>> Column A has dates.
>>>> Column B has pressure.
>>>>
>>>> Really a simple setup.
>>>> Scatter graph is desired, with straight lines between the actual
>>>> points.
>>>>
>>>> Lets say I have 10 dates.
>>>>
>>>> If I select these 10 to plot, no problem.
>>>> Does it all nicely.
>>>>
>>>> But if I select, e.g., 15 rows to Plot, with
>>>> the last five being Blank, it won't do it.
>>>
>>> name the ranges of x and y values and use these names for the
>>> chart.Then your chart is always
>>> present with the current data.
>>> Have a look:
>>> https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqMiGBK2qniTgYI-fCz3P6SW4iUuyQ
>>>
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Claus B.

>>
>> Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and
>> its chart auto-updates accordingly!
>>

>
> Excellent advice from Claus and GS, however creating a 'Dynamic Named
> Range' for a casual Excel user is not a trivial task... Amongst other
> things it requires knowledge of the OFFSET function.
>
> This link provides a detailed explanation:
>
> http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/d...med-range.html


I was replying to Claus' offering of an example (not viewed by myself).
It would be better for the OP if Claus' example included this since,
even after reading the article you refer to (good as it is) it still
may prove a daunting challenge to 'casual' users who use headers (as I
suspect ths OP does for checkbox cols)!

Not meaning to discourage others, though, I'd likely recommend further
reading here...

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #6  
Old December 26th 16, 04:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Claus Busch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,453
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

Hi Garry,

Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 15:42:57 -0500 schrieb GS:

> Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and its
> chart auto-updates accordingly!


in my example the range names are dynamic. I thought this would be
obvious as I wrote :
Then your chart is always present with the current data.


Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
  #7  
Old December 26th 16, 07:46 AM
Thế45363 Thế45363 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 20
Default

Cho thuê sân khấu - Thi công lắp dựng sân khấu -LH 0937 150 220


Đạt Phương - Đơn vị chuyên cung cấp, cho thuê âm thanh - ánh sáng - cung cấp, lắp đặt sân khấu phục vụ sự kiện chuyên nghiệp. ... Chuyên thiết kế, cung cấp v* lắp đặt hệ thống thiết bị âm thanh, ánh sáng, không gian, ...sân khấu. Liên hệ Mr Đạt 0911 000 222



[center]











  #8  
Old December 26th 16, 08:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 714
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

> Hi Garry,
>
> Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 15:42:57 -0500 schrieb GS:
>
>> Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and
>> its chart auto-updates accordingly!

>
> in my example the range names are dynamic. I thought this would be
> obvious as I wrote :
> Then your chart is always present with the current data.
>
>
> Regards
> Claus B.


I didn't view your sample, but no surprise that you did it that way!<g>

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #9  
Old December 26th 16, 12:34 PM
Thế45363 Thế45363 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 20
Default

Cho thuê sân khấu - Thi công lắp dựng sân khấu -LH 0911 000 222


Đạt Phương - Đơn vị chuyên cung cấp, cho thuê âm thanh - ánh sáng - cung cấp, lắp đặt sân khấu phục vụ sự kiện chuyên nghiệp. ... Chuyên thiết kế, cung cấp v* lắp đặt hệ thống thiết bị âm thanh, ánh sáng, không gian, ...sân khấu. Liên hệ Mr Đạt 0907 150 220



[center]







  #10  
Old December 27th 16, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William B. (Billby)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Simple Charting Problem, Please

Thanks Clause,

Over many years I've received more help from your contributions than anyone else's but in this case
clicking on your link from the mail message I received it in opened your page in my browser which
was interesting but didn't really help me learn how to make my own charts dynamic, hence my quest to
find our more.

Overall I'm disappointed that Excel doesn't provide a simple 'one click' means to make any chart
series dynamic, but then I probably expect too much.


On 26/12/2016 12:56 PM, Claus Busch wrote:
> Hi Garry,
>
> Am Sun, 25 Dec 2016 15:42:57 -0500 schrieb GS:
>
>> Making this data range 'dynamic' would be best so it self-sizes and its
>> chart auto-updates accordingly!

>
> in my example the range names are dynamic. I thought this would be
> obvious as I wrote :
> Then your chart is always present with the current data.
>
>
> Regards
> Claus B.
>

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple problem, simple formula, no FUNCTION ! [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 6 September 28th 07 04:51 PM
Charting - 2 questions simple scale and use of F11 SteveW New Users to Excel 2 July 3rd 06 02:47 PM
Simple Bar Charting Problem: Would Sure Appreciate Some Help On This Robert11 Charts and Charting in Excel 1 March 9th 06 12:03 AM
Simple charting question codetalker Charts and Charting in Excel 1 January 31st 05 04:13 AM
C++ and Excel : Need Simple Charting Example (I can populate sheet with Data) stevo Excel Programming 4 September 30th 04 07:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.