Pivot ungrouping on refresh?

Old March 24th 10, 10:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Me!

Default Pivot ungrouping on refresh?

Hi,

I have a pivot table where the ROW field is a date that is grouped by month
& year.

However, when I change the data source to include additional rows that I
have added to the underlying data & refresh the pivot, the grouping is
ungrouped, so my aggregagation by month becomes aggregation by date.

this is a huge problem as it adds hundreds of rows to my pivot table which
then runs over another pivot table.

Does anyone know how I can retain the row grouping on updating the data
source & refreshing.

Thanks,

Jason

Old March 24th 10, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier[_8_]

Hi Jason

You should be using a dynamic range as your data source, and not
changing it each time you add more rows to the source data. If you
change the source, the PT will always cancel any existing grouping.

If you are using XL2003
Place your cursor within your source data>Data>List>Create>tick my List
has headers. Then make your source equal to this range, which Excel
recognises as a list and it will grow as you add more data.

If you are using XL2007
Place your cursor within your source data>Insert tab>Table>click my
table has Headers.
It will create a Table name for you - Table1 by default - but you can
name it to whatever you want.
From the Design Tab>Change data source>give it the name of your Table.

For any version of XL
Insert>Name>Define
Name myData
Refers to =$A$1:INDEX($A:$A,COUNTA($A:$A),INDEX($1:$1,COUNTA $1:$1))

Make the data source for your PT =myData

For more information on creating Dynamic ranges take a look at a
tutorial I wrote at
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames03.html

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Old March 24th 10, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Me!

Thanks Roger. I wasn't sure that a manual change of the data source
automatically cancelled any existing groupings.

I'm fine with how to have my range dynamic - I just hadn't got round to
changing this one report becauase it's only updated once every 6 weeks.

I tend to use OFFSET and COUNTA. What benefit in using INDEX & COUNTA
instead?

Thanks again,

Jason
---

Old March 24th 10, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier[_8_]

Hi Jason

Offset is a volatile function, and has to be recalculated every time
there is a changed value, whereas Index isn't.

I avoid Volatile functions "like the plague" - wherever I can.
Index is a very fast and efficient function.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Old June 2nd 15, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, March 24, 2010 at 5:58:06 AM UTC-4, Me! wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a pivot table where the ROW field is a date that is grouped by month
> & year.
>
> However, when I change the data source to include additional rows that I
> have added to the underlying data & refresh the pivot, the grouping is
> ungrouped, so my aggregagation by month becomes aggregation by date.
>
> this is a huge problem as it adds hundreds of rows to my pivot table which
> then runs over another pivot table.
>
> Does anyone know how I can retain the row grouping on updating the data
> source & refreshing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hi Jason

I realize you have posted this back in 2010, but I do nto see anything else more recent.

I am having the same problem and Jason's instructions to correct the issue has not helped. My table/range includes the file name and the complete data range of the table, yet, the dates are still ungrouping when refreshed. Can you advise how you corrected this aggravating problem?
Old July 10th 15, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Il giorno mercoledž 24 marzo 2010 10:58:06 UTC+1, Me! ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have a pivot table where the ROW field is a date that is grouped by month
> & year.
>
> However, when I change the data source to include additional rows that I
> have added to the underlying data & refresh the pivot, the grouping is
> ungrouped, so my aggregagation by month becomes aggregation by date.
>
> this is a huge problem as it adds hundreds of rows to my pivot table which
> then runs over another pivot table.
>
> Does anyone know how I can retain the row grouping on updating the data
> source & refreshing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hi Jason!

how did u manage to fix it? I do have the same problem (excel 2013) but I cannot get the solution from Roger. I cannot insert a table if a pivot is already existing! Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrea
Old December 9th 16, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:37:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Il giorno mercoledì 24 marzo 2010 10:58:06 UTC+1, Me! ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a pivot table where the ROW field is a date that is grouped by month
> > & year.
> >
> > However, when I change the data source to include additional rows that I
> > have added to the underlying data & refresh the pivot, the grouping is
> > ungrouped, so my aggregagation by month becomes aggregation by date.
> >
> > this is a huge problem as it adds hundreds of rows to my pivot table which
> > then runs over another pivot table.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can retain the row grouping on updating the data
> > source & refreshing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

> Hi Jason!
>
> how did u manage to fix it? I do have the same problem (excel 2013) but I cannot get the solution from Roger. I cannot insert a table if a pivot is already existing! Am I missing something?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Andrea

I know this is old but I just fixed this issue. The reason the Date fields ungroup is because the new data contains invalid dates. Insert a =ISTEXT function in an unused column to see which dates need to be re-entered. Once the dates are true date format, refresh and grouping should be allowed again.