Adding an extra row after every existing row

Old April 13th 08, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh W

Default Adding an extra row after every existing row

I have an excel worksheet with about 61 rows. Now i have to add another row
with the same text after EACH existing row - between row A and B, row B and C
etc. Is there any quick way to insert all these rows or do I simply have to
manually insert row by row.
Old April 13th 08, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

If just for visual purposes, simply select all rows, which are the 1,2,3,4,5 and
not the columns which are A,B,C,D and double their height.

If you truly need a row inserted, in a helper column enter numbers 1 to 61.

Copy that range and paste to row 62.

Sort on that column ascending to get your blank rows.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old April 13th 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh W

Sorry Gord, I know you are trying to help but I really couldn't follow you. I
tried to understand and do what you suggested several ways but all that
happens is that the existing data remain exactly as before and I only got an
extra 61 rows AFTER the existing rows and not each one in between.

Old April 13th 08, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Let's go over it again.

1. In row 1 of an an adjacent blank column....say H1... enter 1.

2. In H2 enter a 2.

3. Select both those cells and double-click fill handle of H2 to copy down to
H61.

4. Select H1:H61 and Copy.

5. Select H62 and Paste.

6. Select all your used columns including H and Data>Sort> "My data range has
no header row"

7. Sort Ascending on column H to get

1
1 blank
2
2 blank
3
3 blank

8. Delete Column H

Gord

Old April 13th 08, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

Just elaborating on Gord's explanation:

Say existing data in A1 to A61.
Insert a *new* (helper) column A by right clicking in the existing Column A
header and choosing "Insert".

In the NEW Column A, enter 1 in A1, and 2 in A2.
Select A1 and A2.
In the lower right corner of this 2 cell selection you'll see a small black
square, called the "fill" handle.

Hover the cursor over this square until it (the cursor) changes from a fat
white cross to a skinny black cross.
Then *double* click.

This will *automatically* fill the series down Column A, as far as there is
data in Column B.

This gives you the numbers 1 to 61 in the column next to your data in Column
B.
Old April 13th 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

Sorry Gord, didn't see your reply b4 I posted!

RD

news

Old April 13th 08, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Not a problem RD

Gord

Old April 14th 08, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh W

Thanks very much, it works.

Old April 14th 08, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh W

Thanks very much Gord, now it works fantastic!! the "now header row" click
was a good tip.

Old April 14th 08, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Good to hear you're "sorted" out.

Feedback always appreciated and lets us know what works and what doesn't.

Gord