Generating a list of all possible number/letter combinations

Old January 8th 04, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
orion

Default Generating a list of all possible number/letter combinations

I have to generate a list of all possible letter/number combinations of
the form _ _ _. There are no restrictions, it can start with a letter,
or a number, have no numbers (AAA), or no letters (000). Any ideas on
how to do this in excel or using VBA?

---

Old January 8th 04, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Cone

orion,

I have written an Excel add-in "Display Word Combinations". It should do
what you want...

All possible combinations for a series of characters are determined. (alpha
and or numeric)
Duplicate combinations are eliminated and a listing of the result is added
to the first empty column on the worksheet.
Valid words in the list are highlighted and shown at the top of the list.
It handles 3 to 8 character combinations and come with a one page Word.doc
install/use file.

It is available (for free) upon direct request. Remove the xxx from email
address.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA
XX

news

Old January 9th 04, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy

Sub tester1()
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim k As Long, ii As Long
Dim varr(1 To 36) As String
For i = 1 To 10
varr(i) = i - 1
Next
j = 11
For i = 65 To 90
varr(i - 54) = Chr(i)
Next i
ii = 0
For i = 1 To 36
For j = 1 To 36
For k = 1 To 36
ii = ii + 1
Cells(ii, 1).Value = "'" & varr(i) & _
varr(j) & varr(k)
Next
Next
Next
End Sub

Tom Ogilvy

news

Old January 9th 04, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
orion

Thank you so much Jim and Tom, you're brilliant!

---

Old November 27th 16, 10:36 PM
clemmi clemmi is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Hi,

I saw you post in the ExcelBanter forum. [quote=Jim Cone;1014561]

I would appreciate a copy of your program to generate word combinations of 2, 3 and 4 letters.

I want to use it to search for the most common letter combinations in a 3000 word list.

To learn Morse code by hearing (not witting it) it is helpful to memorize 'letter combination sounds' rather than individual letters. It will be a great learning tool.

wb6mcw AT aol DOT com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cone View Post
orion,

I have written an Excel add-in "Display Word Combinations". It should do
what you want...

All possible combinations for a series of characters are determined. (alpha
and or numeric)
Duplicate combinations are eliminated and a listing of the result is added
to the first empty column on the worksheet.
Valid words in the list are highlighted and shown at the top of the list.
It handles 3 to 8 character combinations and come with a one page Word.doc
install/use file.

It is available (for free) upon direct request. Remove the xxx from email
address.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA