Chart with double y-axis

Old September 26th 12, 04:22 AM
DaveinVT DaveinVT is offline
Junior Member

Default Chart with double y-axis

Hello,
I have 2 sets of data for the same variables. One set of data is shown in %, from 50%-100%. The other set of data is shown simply as values, from 0-25. Is there a way to combine these data sets onto one bar chart in order to compare the relative magnitude of the lines? In other words, can I make the y-axis show both 50%-100% AND the numbers 0-25 next to each other so that the minimum and maximum heights (0%-100% and 0-25) are equal and have the charts combine into one?
Thanks!
Old September 26th 12, 09:20 AM
Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinVT View Post
Hello,
I have 2 sets of data for the same variables. One set of data is shown in %, from 50%-100%. The other set of data is shown simply as values, from 0-25. Is there a way to combine these data sets onto one bar chart in order to compare the relative magnitude of the lines? In other words, can I make the y-axis show both 50%-100% AND the numbers 0-25 next to each other so that the minimum and maximum heights (0%-100% and 0-25) are equal and have the charts combine into one?
Thanks!
You can have a secondary Y axis meaning you'd have the %'s up the left side of the chart and the 0-25 values up the right side of the chart. Would that work for you?
Old September 26th 12, 11:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
William B. (Billby)

Default Circular Bar chart?

Is this what you mean?
http://www.excelcharts.com/blog/the-...art-revisited/

Or perhaps one like this?
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/mag...visualization/

There are also plenty of third party product$ that can do what you want.

Go to: http://images.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en
And enter the words: excel circular bar chart
Then if you see an image that looks interesting click
on it and visit the site where the image originated from.

Have fun,

William B.

Old September 26th 12, 11:51 AM
DaveinVT DaveinVT is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
You can have a secondary Y axis meaning you'd have the %'s up the left side of the chart and the 0-25 values up the right side of the chart. Would that work for you?
Yes, thanks
Old September 26th 12, 12:48 PM
Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinVT View Post
Yes, thanks
Could you post some example dummy data? Far easier to make a graph with that.
Old September 26th 12, 05:06 PM
DaveinVT DaveinVT is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I posted a jpeg of what I want to recreate (and then play with a bit) in this tread he
http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=447224

I guess I should have asked all my questions in one thread to keep it all together...

----------------------------

[quote=William B. (Billby);1605870]Is this what you mean?

Old September 27th 12, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
William B. (Billby)

Hi Dave, I checked out your jpeg and the Excelbanter blog.
What your are trying to achieve is quite complex for Excel.
A polar chart might do what you require but I couldn't find
any 'free' examples at that level of complexity...

The Excel 'Sparklines' charting mentioned elsewhere by Ben
is quite extensive but doesn't appear to have a direct
solution for your problem. Best of luck with your research
and eventual success in plotting it. WB.

Old July 10th 15, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 11:12:03 PM UTC-4, DaveinVT wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it possible to create a circular bar chart, with the radii of the
> circle serving as the y-axis of the chart, and the perimeter of the
> circle serving as the x-axis?
> Thanks!
>

> --
> DaveinVT

It's been a long time since this was asked, but in case there are any other searchers out there, this page gave me the solution I used to build mine in MATLAB.

http://interworks.co.uk/blog/radial-bar-chart/

This website shows you the trigonometric solution you need to plot a line using the regular old plot function. Each line has two points, and you plot your first one like this in MATLAB:

plot([innerx outerx], [innery outery])

When I made mine, I selected r1 to the same number for all observations and r2 to be the value for that observation. Here's all the code for MATLAB.

values = [3 4 1 8 9];
nvalues = size(values,2) %values has 5 rows and 1 column.
indices = 1:nvalues
angledeg = 360/nvalues;
anglerad = degtorad(angledeg);
angles = indices.*anglerad
innerr = 5; % pick anything you want
values = innerr + values;
cosines = cos(angles);
sines = sin(angles);

xinners = innerr.*cosines;
yinners = innerr.*sines;

for i = indices
plot([xinners(i) xvalues(i)], [yinners(i) yvalues(i)])
end

xvalues = values.*cosines;
yvalues = values.*sines;