Junior Member

Default Need help finding a substring in a array of strings.

This is driving me insane, all I want to do is check whether the information contained in a cell is present in an array of cells or not, it's substring and I'm checking against an array of strings, but it just wont fu#$%@ work.... I'm using this =IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND(A1;$C$1:$C$388;1)));"true";"f alse") that's all, if it finds the substring it should return true else false, the thing is that the substring is actually a numeric sequence, here's an example of the worksheet:

----A------------------B----------------------C
1 1234-------------FUNCTION-----------5678_hh_buzzzz
2 5678-------------FUNCTION-----------9866_hh_buzzzz
3 9866-------------FUNCTION-----------1237_hh_buzzzz
4 5248-------------FUNCTION-----------9975_hh_buzzzz
5 1237-------------FUNCTION-----------0832_hh_buzzzz

so I'm checking if values from column A are present in any of the values of column C, using the aforementioned function on column B, it will return false for all, even for the ones I KNOW are there, the funny things is that if I change the search text to "hh" or "buzzzz" it will return true, it seems to be having problems with the numbers somehow.

Anyone knows what might be the problem?

Last edited by hvcrios : November 16th 12 at 07:16 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Am Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:13:38 +0000 schrieb hvcrios:

----A------------------B----------------------C
1 1234-------------FUNCTION-----------5678_hh_buzzzz
2 5678-------------FUNCTION-----------9866_hh_buzzzz
3 9866-------------FUNCTION-----------1237_hh_buzzzz