Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
al al is offline

Default Changing values of x-axis to include greek letters

I'm trying to graph the function sin(x) in radians and I want my x-axis to
list the standard "pi/2; pi; 3pi/2; and 2 pi" but I can't figure out how to
do it (short of copying the graph into a paint file, using Microsoft Equation
3.0 to create the equations and replace each value with what I want.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel has a built-in function called "PI". As an example for creating your
X-axis, try entering "=PI()" into cell A1.

In cell A3 enter "=A1/2".
In cell A4 enter "=A1".
In cell A5 enter "=3*A1"

And so on. The values in cells A3, A4, A5, etc. can now be used as your X
axis.

--
John Mansfield
http://cellmatrix.net

"Al" wrote:

I'm trying to graph the function sin(x) in radians and I want my x-axis to
list the standard "pi/2; pi; 3pi/2; and 2 pi" but I can't figure out how to
do it (short of copying the graph into a paint file, using Microsoft Equation
3.0 to create the equations and replace each value with what I want.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Try the following method.

Lets imagine that the angles (in radians) are in Column A.
Convert the angles as multiples of pi in Column B; e.g., the formula for B1
will be =DEGREES(A1)/180
Have the sine values calculated in Column C; e.g., C1 = SIN(A1).
Make a XY-plot of Column C vs Column B. The x-axis would show the angles in
units of pi.
Now, right-click on the x-axis, €śFormat Axis€ť -- €śNumber€ť -- €śCustom€ť
Under the Format Code, enter General €ś p€ť click €śAdd€ť and €śClose€ť
Right-click again on the x-axis -- €śFont€ť and change the font to Symbol.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Al" wrote:

I'm trying to graph the function sin(x) in radians and I want my x-axis to
list the standard "pi/2; pi; 3pi/2; and 2 pi" but I can't figure out how to
do it (short of copying the graph into a paint file, using Microsoft Equation
3.0 to create the equations and replace each value with what I want.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Al said:

Will that show, on the x-axis the value "pi/2" (with the Greek letter) or
1.5708?

Only the numbers. If you want special text, you need to create a
completely artificial X-axis labelling series, by typing the following
cells:

X-labels
1.570796327 0 p/2
3.141592654 0 p
4.712388980 0 3p/2
6.283185307 0 2p

Where the font in the third column is formatted in the "Symbol" font, as
B.R. says. Now select the first two columns and Paste Special them to
the chart as a scatter series (I assume the chart is a scatter chart),
then use one of the labelling add-ins:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

John Walkenbach's Chart Tools
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

to give that series a set of data labels based on the third column. Then
format the series to be invisible so only the labels show.
Alternatively, for just a few labels, you can put them in manually,
without installing either the of the add-ins (but they can be very
useful if you're doing a lot of advanced Excel charting)

For more tips on making custom axis labels (one of the tougher custom
Excel techniques, but one of the most powerful), check out the tutorials
by Jon Peltier
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

and Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...ble_log_scale/

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Format the x-axis as I have described in my earlier reponse, as follows.

Right-click on the x-axis, €śFormat Axis€ť -- €śNumber€ť -- €śCustom€ť
Under the Format Code enter General €ś p€ť
click €śAdd€ť and €śClose€ť
Right-click again on the x-axis -- €śFont€ť and change the font to Symbol

It will label the x-axis not as pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, etc, but as 0.5 pi, 1.0 pi,
1.5 pi, etc.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran