Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel maths

I have to create a vehicle service record and I wish to have the service
interval of 6000 miles automatically added to the current milage.I wish to do
this horizontally eg.

a b c d e

a = milage at service
e = next service due

Is there a way to write a formula for any number entered in the a column
that adds 6000 and places it in e.Many thanks to anybody who can assist

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Cyclops" wrote:

I have to create a vehicle service record and I wish to have the service
interval of 6000 miles automatically added to the current milage.I wish
to do
this horizontally eg.

a b c d e

a = milage at service
e = next service due

Is there a way to write a formula for any number entered in the a column
that adds 6000 and places it in e.Many thanks to anybody who can assist

To answer David's question, it puts FALSE in column E when column A is
empty. If you copy the formula down in column E you'll get FALSE entered
until you enter numbers1 in column A. If you copy down =A2+6000 you'll
see 6000 entered in column E when column A is blank.

I'd suggest =IF(A2="","",A2+6000) entered in E2, which will leave column
E blank unless a value is entered in column A when the formula is copied
down.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not the AND function that gives the FALSE result, Bill; it's the
absence of an argument as the alternative result.
The AND function does nothing, as far as I can see.
=IF(AND(A21),A2+6000) does the same as =IF(A21,A2+6000)
--
David Biddulph

"Cyclops" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David Biddulph wrote:
It's not the AND function that gives the FALSE result, Bill; it's the
absence of an argument as the alternative result.
The AND function does nothing, as far as I can see.
=IF(AND(A21),A2+6000) does the same as =IF(A21,A2+6000)
--
David Biddulph

My only exercise appears to be jumping to conclusions. You're right, the
IF function requires two choices.

Bill