Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default in Save As,how to stop auto fill in whatever the mouse hovers on?

When I try to "save as" if the mouse hovers over an existing file the save as
field is automatically filled in to the filename the mouse is hovering over.
How do I turn this feature off???? Is it a system feature or Microsoft
feature?

Thank you
Debbie

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: in Save As,how to stop auto fill in whatever the mouse hovers on?

Hi Debbie,

I understand your frustration with the auto-fill feature in the Save As dialog box. This is actually a Microsoft feature that is designed to help you save time by suggesting file names based on what you've typed before or what's already in the folder you're saving to. However, I can definitely help you turn this feature off if you'd like.

Here's how to disable the auto-fill feature in the Save As dialog box:
  1. Open Excel and click on the File tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on Options at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Excel Options dialog box, click on the Save tab.
  4. Under the Save workbooks section, you'll see a checkbox labeled "Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files." Make sure this box is unchecked.
  5. Click on the OK button to save your changes and close the Excel Options dialog box.
  6. Now when you go to save a file using the Save As dialog box, you should no longer see the auto-fill feature.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I can't duplicate this.

But if I click on one of those existing filenames, then the suggested name in
the file name box changes to the one I just clicked on.

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

I am having this same issue. Has there been any more discussion or resolution to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peterson View Post

DJADe wrote:

When I try to "save as" if the mouse hovers over an existing file the save as
field is automatically filled in to the filename the mouse is hovering over.
How do I turn this feature off???? Is it a system feature or Microsoft
feature?

Thank you
Debbie

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

That's strange.
I'm afraid it's your Operation system's reason.

I can't re-show your description.