Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Asif

Default Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and paste

I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that
contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the
data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into
a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show
date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date
will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and
manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Asif

One of the workbooks was saved using the ToolsOptionsCalculation1904 date
system.

The other is using the standard Excel date system.

Looks like source wookbook is using 1904 system.

I would uncheck that option in source book unless there is a compelling reason
to leave it on 1904 date system..

This will change the dates by 4 years and a day.

To resolve this, enter 1462 in an empty cell and copy it then select the dates
and paste specialaddOKEsc.

Re-format to your preferred date format.

Now copy over to the target workbook.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:35:04 -0800, "Asif"
wrote:

I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that
contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the
data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into
a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show
date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date
will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and
manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Asif

Default Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and p

Thank you very much, I will try that and see if it works.

Thanks