LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  

Default Help with a running total on multiple sheets

I am new to Excel and have learned a lot recently. I have just switched over all my home budgeting items to Excel instead of paper. I have a workbook with about 15 sheets (one for each budget category). Each sheet has a running balance in column E. I would like a column on sheet 1 to simply add the newest running total in column E from the remaining sheets.

I figured out how to do a running total from multiple sheets, but it is adding all the numbers from all the E columns and not just the newest running balance. (I hope that makes sense)

Thanks so much for you help!
  #2   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari C View Post
I am new to Excel and have learned a lot recently. I have just switched over all my home budgeting items to Excel instead of paper. I have a workbook with about 15 sheets (one for each budget category). Each sheet has a running balance in column E. I would like a column on sheet 1 to simply add the newest running total in column E from the remaining sheets.

I figured out how to do a running total from multiple sheets, but it is adding all the numbers from all the E columns and not just the newest running balance. (I hope that makes sense)

Hi,

Where on each sheet is your "running total"?
Is it fixed or does it move depending on how many "transactions" there are in each month?
  #3   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

Where on each sheet is your "running total"?
Is it fixed or does it move depending on how many "transactions" there are in each month?

It moves down column E as I add transactions. Each page is different also, as some categories have more transactions than others.
  #4   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari C View Post
It moves down column E as I add transactions. Each page is different also, as some categories have more transactions than others.
Hi,

You could perhaps use a VLOOKUP as per the attached example.

You could adapt it to use INDIRECT() to update the formulas automatically rather than doing that manually, but for the small amount of 'categories' you have, the effort of setting it up once will be outweighed by the potential worksheet slowdown you will experience by using a volatile formula such as INDIRECT.

Let me know if you need more help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shari C.zip (8.8 KB, 39 views)
  #5   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

You could perhaps use a VLOOKUP as per the attached example.

You could adapt it to use INDIRECT() to update the formulas automatically rather than doing that manually, but for the small amount of 'categories' you have, the effort of setting it up once will be outweighed by the potential worksheet slowdown you will experience by using a volatile formula such as INDIRECT.

Let me know if you need more help.
Thanks so much! I will try that out and see how it goes. Your help is very much appreciated. :)

#6   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster

Default Help with a running total on multiple sheets

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:28:00 AM UTC-8, Shari C wrote:
I am new to Excel and have learned a lot recently. I have just switched

over all my home budgeting items to Excel instead of paper. I have a

workbook with about 15 sheets (one for each budget category). Each sheet

has a running balance in column E. I would like a column on sheet 1 to

simply add the newest running total in column E from the remaining

sheets.

I figured out how to do a running total from multiple sheets, but it is

adding all the numbers from all the E columns and not just the newest

running balance. (I hope that makes sense)

--

Hi Shari C,

This may work for you, it returns the sum of the last values of column E from all the sheets to a CELL in sheet1.

On sheet 1 enter this formula in a cell.
=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet3!J1)

On each sheet enter this formula in cell J1.
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(E1:E25000<""),E1:E25000),0)

Change J1 to suit your needs & Sheet1:Sheet3! to match your first & last sheet.

Regards,
Howard